News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Fortrose & Rosemarkie Golf Club New
« on: May 27, 2011, 02:28:02 PM »
Located north of Inverness, with Nairn & Castle Stuart to the south and Royal Dornoch, Tain, Golspie & Brora to the north, the Fortrose & Rosemarkie Golf Club gets overlooked by a lot of golfers visiting the Scottish Highlands, including yours truly. It is a course that should be seen and played. The James Braid design is a remarkable routing on a compact (and very scenic) property.

The small greens (a number of which are crowned) are well protected by humps, hollows and drop offs. Even though several of the par-4's are between 260 & 320 yards long, they are not pushovers.

www.fortrosegolfclub.co.uk  

Photo tour of the course: www.fortrosegolfclub.co.uk/photo.htm
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 05:33:35 PM by David_Tepper »

Steve Wilson

Re: Fortrose & Rosemarkie Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:23:28 PM »
Been there and done that.  The routing is remarkably tight and somewhat confusing if you are by yourself as I was the first time I played it in 2000.
I was left the impression that I was tracing a corkscrew as I got deep into the back nine.  It's such a compact course, I wonder what the total acreage of the course is.  It uses virtually every inch of the peninsula it's sited on. 

My recollection is that there is a single par 5 on the course and it's followed by a humdinger of a short par 3.  And the course winds up , like Brora, with a long par 3 that finishes in full view of the club house.

All in all,  great fun and I second David in  recommmending it highly.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

James Boon

Re: Fortrose & Rosemarkie Golf Club
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 03:31:25 PM »
David,

I drove through the course last year to get to Channonry Point to look at the dolphins. Once you've worked out the best time with the tides it's well worth it! As for the course, I've never played it but the holes at the far end near the lighthouse looked fun and I took a few pics which I'll try and post later.

Cheers,

James

Ps I don't think I'll be getting to the Highlands during your stay this year I'm afraid. But I hope to be able to be around this time next year for certain! And glad you enjoyed the Operation Mincemeat documentary!
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back