News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Petersen

St Endoc. Love the way the hill creates not just blindness but serious intimidation with the height and the bunker cut in its face.

Craig Disher

St. Enodoc for sentimental reasons. I last played there nearly 20 years ago and this is the one hole I remember clearly. I don't like voting against Yale, but there it is.

Mike Hendren

Somehow I've never seen a photograph of Yale's green from behind.  I'm blown away.  Why on earth have I not traveled to play this golf course?

Yale
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Bert

Phil McDade

St. Enodoc.

Maybe not a classic Alps, but Alps-y enough for me, and it's cleary a big hill to carry for most, fitting the broad definition of how an Alps should play.

To me, Yale is less of a classic Alps than St. Enodoc.

Pete Lavallee

Are we voting which hole is better, or which hole is a better Alps? Clearly Yale is a more faithful Alps rendition; the second is blind no matter where you place your tee shot and you mustn't come up short with your second or you'll be bunkered. That bunker is fairly shalllow and even I got up and down to a right pin easily from there. I think St Enodoc has more tee shot interest, placement is critical both for distance and direction. The second shot is intimidating and thrilling, even with a 9 iron in hand. Both are great holes.

I vote for St Enodoc.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

jeffwarne

Are we voting which hole is better, or which hole is a better Alps? Clearly Yale is a more faithful Alps rendition; the second is blind no matter where you place your tee shot and you mustn't come up short with your second or you'll be bunkered. That bunker is fairly shalllow and even I got up and down to a right pin easily from there. I think St Enodoc has more tee shot interest, placement is critical both for distance and direction. The second shot is intimidating and thrilling, even with a 9 iron in hand. Both are great holes.

I vote for St Enodoc.

While I think they're both great holes, if you prefer the one at Yale you probably can save a lot of money and never play any of the spectacular links courses of the UK/Ireland/Bandon and just play the templates in this country created by MacDonald/Raynor (not a bad option).

Can we at leat call the one at Yale an Appalachian?

Can the template hole that eventually knocks out the 17th at Prestwick at least have the landform that defines the hole be more intimidating than the fronting bunker?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Richard Choi

WHAT A NAIL-BITER!!! Enodoc wins with a last minute score from Mr. Lavallee 8 to 7!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back