News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

New Web Site For Askernish Golf Club
« on: December 29, 2010, 05:08:44 PM »

Just received an e-mail from Ralph advising of the new Askernish web site. Check it out on http://www.askernishgolfclub.com/

Melvyn

Kris Shreiner

Re: New Web Site For Askernish Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 01:18:14 AM »
Thanks Melvyn! All the best in 2011. I hope to get over there to the West Coast the next time I'm in Scotland. Askernish would seem to be a bit like Brora, with even more remoteness...is that accurate?

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 05:57:58 AM »
Thanks Melvyn, really great to see the hole by hole guide, and will get even better when they add photos. It looks amazing and offers very good value.  It goes against the strategy of other new projects of recent years in Scotland in that it tries to offer a more basic and truly traditional experience.  Quite different from the likes of Castle stuart, Renaissance or even Trumps adventure.  Not to say that these courses are not very good but I think it is a wise decision by those in charge at Askernish to give the golfer a different option.

Do you plan to play Askernish this year?

James Boon

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 06:08:49 AM »
Melvyn,

Thanks for the link. I knew Ralph was working on a new website so its good to finally see it. Some great new photographs and great to see it mentioning the island and its further attractions but my one negative comment is that it needs to be made a lot easier to navigate.

Kris,

As a lover of both courses, I wouldn't say they are similar to be honest.

Brora's current course dates back to 1923 and could be seen as a classic links, but being over common land with sheep and cattle grazing makes it seem a little rougher around the edges than most are used to. But its still a fine course and was certainly in great condition last time I played earlier this year.

Askernish is as you say certainly more remote, but its also a pretty new course built and maintained in the way courses would have been 100odd years ago. In time I feel it will develop into a great course but at the moment its rough around the edges because of the way it has been constructed. Having said that, what they have achieved at Askernish on such a small budget is not just a museum piece but a great lesson to us all.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ralph Thompson

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 06:12:28 AM »
Thanks Melvyn for putting the link on GCA. Regarding photos etc we are arranging to have a full overhead video done of each hole which will look amazing. Unfortunately we cannot do this until June when there is definition to the fairways etc.

James Boon

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 06:18:29 AM »
Ralph,

Good to hear from you! Looking forward to seeing the additional photos on the website!

Thanks Melvyn, really great to see the hole by hole guide, and will get even better when they add photos. It looks amazing and offers very good value.  It goes against the strategy of other new projects of recent years in Scotland in that it tries to offer a more basic and truly traditional experience.  Quite different from the likes of Castle stuart, Renaissance or even Trumps adventure.  Not to say that these courses are not very good but I think it is a wise decision by those in charge at Askernish to give the golfer a different option.

Do you plan to play Askernish this year?

Ross,

Not wishing to put words into either Melvyn or Ralph's mouths but to be honest I suspect most of the reasons for Askernish giving a different option to the likes of Castle Stuart or even Trump is more down to the lack of a very rich helping hand, rather than an attempt to offer something different? Askernish is essentially a small village club who happen to have an awesome site with an awesome history and the course they have created is certainly worth going to see!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 06:29:21 AM »
James I can't argue with what you say but at least they went ahead with the project.  would many not worry that such a project would not work so therefore not even try to get the thing off the ground?  From what I can see it seems that most new courses are part of a big money project so i still grant credit to askernish for following a different model.  Even if that was partly through necessity.

James Boon

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 07:13:54 AM »
Ross,

I can't argue with that! Everyone involved at Askernish deserves great credit for what they have achieved so far. Lets hope plenty more GCAers make the trip to find out!

Cheers,

James

Jason Hines

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 08:41:29 AM »
Love it, Love it, LOVE IT!!!

Jim Eder

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 10:33:52 AM »
Terrific site!!  Well done. Thank you for opening my eyes to what looks like a wonderful gem. I can't wait to see the pics and can't wait to play there.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 12:09:10 PM »

So perhaps after all there is a case for being repetitive, of pushing the point in the hope that all can share in the wonders of what golf offers to the true believers.

When time and health release us from our daily chores, we should aim high, test our own character by embracing courses like the 119 year old Askernish where the game has relatively remained unchanged more due to the site of the course than ignoring modern equipment.

I will continue to remind my fellow members of the pleasure and inward rewards we get from playing golf on old traditional courses with both Hickory and more modern equipment. Having said that these older courses deserve a sprinkling of respect for their architectural merit begging the golfer to play either utilising the equipment they were originally designed to accommodate.

Before you walk off the 18th Green at any of these old Courses, I ask that you look to the faces of all the golfers and note how many are not smiling. I would wager very few would not have enjoyed their experience, proving that the game is far more important than the travelling.

Ralph, you and your team have yet again done wonders. Your new web site is really, really great but I do believe that a comments page should be added allowing golfers and their family the opportunity to comment, not just on the course but the travel – which seems to be this biggest barrier. If other golfers report their travel experience against a round or two, perhaps this may not seem such a big deal  and attract more players.

Melvyn

Carl Johnson

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 08:14:39 AM »
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but Sports Illustrated's golf edition, Feb. 21, includes an article about Askernish by John Garrity.  Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it looks like it would be interesting.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 09:17:52 AM »
I know Askernish is not the easiest place to get to but membership with unlimited golf  at 125 pounds is unbelievable.  They also have the shortest, most to the point application ever.  No golf elitism here.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 09:34:25 AM »
Marvelous site which only makes one visit even more..the remoteness is obvioulsy a drawback for most on this isite but a pilgrimage to such a project simply has to be arranged..much like a trip to the Sandbelt of Melbourne and the coastline of California...so many places so little time....

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 09:18:26 PM »
Congrats to Ralph and Askernish. What a remarkable progression from just a few years ago. I fondly recall the unanimous decision to leave behind our rain gear because "the sun was out" .... yes, those were the days. Safely stored in the boot of two cars were enough rain gear to protect four golfers who had just left a plywood and frame clubhouse with no toilets and no windows...

Now a website?

What is the world coming to! Let alone South Uist.

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jim Tang

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 10:30:57 AM »
Thanks Melvyn.  One day.....

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 06:39:12 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back