News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Hamilton island GC - new to tropical North Queensland (pics)
« on: February 19, 2011, 05:00:29 AM »
I played the new Hamilton Island GC in north Queensland's Whitsunday region last week, designed by Thomson and Perrett and opened last year. While it's named Hamilton Island GC, it is in fact on the neighbouring Dent Island, a ten minute ferry ride from Hamilton Island's marina.

Hamilton Island and other Whitsunday islands have long been a very popular holiday destination, but the region has always been short on golf, with only the basic nine-holer on Lindeman Island and Laguna Quays on the mainland, so the arrival of HIGC was eagerly awaited.

The course has been routed to take advantage of what are some sensational views - as good as anything I've seen anywhere on the planet - but the pursuit of views created some awkwardness with the routing, which is unwalkable, largely for the long distances between holes: driving back the length of the par four 15th after playing it to get to the 16th, a long uphill journey from the 10th to the 11th, driving past the 14th green on the way to the tee and a 5min drive through bush between the 17th and 18th holes.

That said, the moments that are created through some of those sacrifices are wonderful, though the length of the drive to the home hole robbed me of any desire to play the hole, I just felt done for some reason.

Perhaps surprisingly for a resort course that many are likely to only play once or twice, there are quite a few blind shots - most coupled with generous width, which is necessary due to the fact anything even a foot off the cut surface is likely to be lost.

Like Riverside Oaks (on Sydney's outskirts) which a few of the Aussies might be familiar with, the course handles some extreme elevation changes by climbing significant hills on the approaches, with greens set into the hill, the putting surface not visible from the DZ.

There is some bunkering that feels like perhaps it was placed more to maximise aesthetics rather than crate options, but there's some really nice shapes short of the greens to allow the creative player to bounce a ball in and avoid the sand. The fairways are also highly contoured - lots of big shapes rather than OTT micro undulations - I'd say in large part to manage the massive rainfall during the summer wet season.

The greens themselves have more action in them than they appear to in many instances - enough movement to make putting interesting, but sedate enough that they would remain playable in high winds.

All in all, this isn't classic golf, but it certainly isn't trying to be, so I am hesitant to criticise it for not being so. For holiday golf, it hits a lot of high notes and still presents a bunch of really interesting shots, and were you lucky enough to live in the area and play it a lot, I think there is a lot to be learned from repeat play, especially on the more reachable three-shotters.

For someone in the area for some R&R, it is definitely worth playing ($150 inc. cart and ferry transfer).

The opening tee shot. While the fairway and greenside bunkers are both down the right, there's an interesting "pick your poison" situation where a drive over the sand finds flat ground, while a safe shot to the left will mean a hanging lie towards the greenside bunkers. The green sets the tone by having more movement than it appears.

The par three 4th presents the first million-dollar view, playing about 160m slightly downhill to a shallow green, with a tongue of short grass short and right to offer a running option (obscured from the tee)

The 5th is a short par five with some well-placed cross bunkers in the lay-up zone and the green tucked in to the left, a bunker defending it from the layup area but leaving it open to the bold player who goes for it over the scrub.

Looking back up the par five 6th, which presents on the second shot one of the more awkward blind shots on the course, the course guide saying in as many words that you'd be crazy to hit anything more than a safe, controlled long iron or hybrid.

The 7th allows the ball to be worked in from the left, though if you stray far left there is a 6ft-tall exposed boulder that stymies your second.

The 10th is one of three or four greens benched into a steep hill that needs to be encountered on the approach (also found at the 2nd, 3rd, 10th, 12th and to a lesser extent the 7th and 14th).

the awkward cart ride that sees you double back after playing the 15th is almost worth the value of this gorgeous par four played down a spit of land with 270 degree views of the tropical coral-laced waters. As with the 1st, the bunkering makes more sense in practice than it appears to on a graphic, the green feeding from short left, a hill on the left 100m short making the right the favoured side to attack from.

An example of the views the strange back nine routing maximises on most of the holes.

The par three 16th drops downhill to a green that tilts steeply back towards the tee.

For sheer design, the 17th might be my favourite hole on the course. The drive asks you to hug the LHS bunkers for a clear path to, and slight view off, the dell green, with a running approach a definite option. A drive down the right creates an uncomfortable second that must either carry a lot of scrub to an entirely blind target, or be cut in to bounce on.

Joel_Stewart

Re: Hamilton island GC - new to tropical North Queensland (pics)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 10:19:36 AM »
Nice.  Is it windy there?  The 16th looks difficult if the wind was blowing.

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »
Yeah, it's quite a windy place. Hamilton Island is a popular base for sailing and holds a few races each year.

I had up to a couple of clubs of breeze, but on most holes it was either with me or straight into me. I couldn't say if that is the prevailing wind, but my brother-in-law has played it four or five times and said that's what he has had mostly, and always at last a club, but never anything crazy.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 03:55:37 PM »
Yeah, it's quite a windy place. Hamilton Island is a popular base for sailing and holds a few races each year.

I had up to a couple of clubs of breeze, but on most holes it was either with me or straight into me. I couldn't say if that is the prevailing wind, but my brother-in-law has played it four or five times and said that's what he has had mostly, and always at last a club, but never anything crazy.

The tee shots look very familiar to a course in Barbados called Royal Westmoreland.

Were you on Hamilton Island for your honeymoon, Scott? Considering that's one of the main purposes of the resort, I'd be surprised if many 'blokes' make it out of their room, let alone to a whole other island. 
Next!

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 04:32:55 PM »
No Anthony, honeymoon was in the USA. We were up there visiting my bro-in-law, who lives there.

22 years old, single, island full of working travellers and tourists letting their hair down... tough life!

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 12:27:38 AM »
Thanks for the pics Scott. I suspect the pro shop will do a roaring trade in golf balls. Looks pretty unforgiving off the fairways. Some pretty nice views though.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 05:53:43 AM »
Scott

How does it compare to NSW GC in terms of wind impacts ?

What's the routing like ? Are all the P3's on bluffs ?

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 06:09:02 AM »
The par threes all play over some dead ground, but they vary a bit in that 4 is slightly downhill, 16 is more significantly downhill, 7 is flat and 14 is slightly uphill. They are all on high points with pretty good views though, especially 3, 14 and 16.

You can see the routing if you search Hamilton island on GoogleMaps (it was captured during construction). The front nine is more contained, wrapped around the central irrigation lake (which is in play on the approach to the 9th), while the back nine is a large loop that heads away from 10-15, then turns back for the final three holes.

The terrain is so steep that none of the holes are even that close to the coast of the island, yet they boast the views they have due to the elevation.

Duncan Betts

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 09:41:19 PM »
thats a very generous review there Scott, far more generous than any I've heard!

I didn't enjoy it at all, but I played in about a 5 club breeze and simply could not keep my ball in play.  I imagine it would be more enjoyable in a gentle breeze.

It was also the first time I had been in a golf cart for some time, that wasn't particularly endearing either.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 10:47:59 PM »
Scott,

What incredible views! Almost looks like a fantasy golf course.

Yet, I cant imagine I would enjoy playing it as the landscape is too severe. Looks like I would need a sherpa for a caddy, if it were walkable at all which, as you say, it is not. Non-walkable courses do not get my seal of approval.

Still, very photogenic!

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 12:12:15 AM »
Duncan,

To be fair, I don't think many courses can remain playable for the masses in five clubs of wind, but HIGC certainly wouldn't, despite acceptable amounts of width.

I tried to appraise it for what it is. At least having comprimised the routing to take advantage of views, the designers managed to capture some of the most amazing vistas in golf, and incorporate them into the holes (ie. you see them as you look tee to fairway and fairway to green, not just looking sideways away from where you're playing to). To that end, I can't really say they didn't succeed in their endeavour, but the fact definitely remains that many on this site might not enjoy the finished product.

James Bennett

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 01:06:27 AM »
Looks like Lost Canyons with an Ocean abutting it!
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back