News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Winchester CC (Winchester, MA)
« on: January 13, 2011, 05:02:17 PM »
A good friend is moving to Winchester, MA.  Anyone know anything about Winchester CC?  Looks like it might be a Ross? 

Dan Boerger

Re: Winchester CC (Winchester, MA)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 05:04:44 PM »
I played it once ... in February! A good friend of mine's a member. Really a neat place, varied terrain and what appears to be a well established and healthy membership.

I'm sure a few here know much more.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 06:45:01 PM »
I played it a bit in high school before I would have ever truly appreciated it. Great course, great place....

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:04:53 PM »
Never played it but have heard only good from a couple of people.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 08:23:25 PM »
One of the great statements in the history of GCA.com by Rich Goodale:

"Winchester is every bit as good as Merion."

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,14830.0.html

I still don't think he was/is correct, but that is what makes things interesting

Anthony Butler

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 12:32:29 AM »
One of the great statements in the history of GCA.com by Rich Goodale:

"Winchester is every bit as good as Merion."

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,14830.0.html

I still don't think he was/is correct, but that is what makes things interesting
Another New England Ross gem on a very tight property. Metacomet, Charles River Wannamoisett, Hyannisport. They're all on about 110 acres or less. The membership is also very focused on golf since there's not much room for anything else on the property.

It's pretty easy to check out the course. just head north on Route 3 out of Arlington and when you pass the clubhouse, take your first left. You can drive right alongside the fairways on about 4-5 holes.
Next!

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 06:36:49 AM »
     Great Ross course.  Built along plateaus.  Very neat routing.  I understand that the waiting list is over 10 years.

Travis Dewire

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 08:59:17 AM »
I would be surprised if they no longer had a "ten year" waiting list, today. Many clubs in the area have forgone their waiting lists, while maintaining initiation fees

Great Ross course, built on the old grounds of the original Myoipia Club, est. 1902.

Beautiful downhill par 3 (around #9) to a well bunkered green, offering great views of the Boston skyline, and it really does look close!

I know a handful of members and they all are great people, love golf, and love Winchester

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 10:03:05 AM »
     Great Ross course.  Built along plateaus.  Very neat routing.  I understand that the waiting list is over 10 years.

Thanks for the comments everyone.  This last part stuns me -- down here in DC, waiting lists have disappeared at some places and have gotten significantly shorter at others.  

Brad Tufts

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 10:25:38 AM »
Hi Carl,

I've played Winchester a few times, and can give some info.

The club doesn't share anything with Myopia, other than the original Myopia baseball club existed on the grounds in the 1880s before they moved north.  Not sure on the waiting list, but I imagine they are shorter than they were.  My club in Marblehead had a 6-year waiting list in the 90s, and it's down to about 6 months at this point.

Winchester is a classic mid-career Ross course located on a pretty severe property.  The front nine plays up and down some pretty strong undulations, and the back nine exists generally on a huge sideslope.  Suburban Boston closes in on all sides.  You would think that you would feel very contrained by the property, but the routing is such that the course feels much bigger.  A number of the interior holes have had trees removed so there are a few long views that make you feel as though you are out in the country.

Strengths:  Severe property, but does not play like mountain golf.  Half-par holes back to back at 11 (250 par 3) and 12 (475 par 5).  Fun split-fairway par 5 #13...how many Ross courses have a split fairway hole?  Fun short par 3s at #9 and #14.

Weaknesses:  Awkward short par 4 first (shares this quality with several other Boston-area privates).  Last four holes go back and forth down a steep hillside, the 16th might slide a bit too hard (L to R) for safe and fair play.

VERY good course though.  Another one of those "can't believe this is so close to Boston" courses.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Carl Nichols

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 10:41:24 AM »
Thanks Brad.  Hope you're well.

Mike Salinetti

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 03:23:57 PM »
I have heard great things about the course as well. They just appointed a new head golf professional who should do quite well there.
Mike Salinetti
Golf Course Superintendent
Berkshire Hills Country Club
Pittsfield, MA

Travis Dewire

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 12:12:38 AM »

The club doesn't share anything with Myopia, other than the original Myopia baseball club existed on the grounds in the 1880s before they moved north.  Not sure on the waiting list, but I imagine they are shorter than they were.  My club in Marblehead had a 6-year waiting list in the 90s, and it's down to about 6 months at this point.

Did I say it had anything to do with Myopia?
And yes, it was the original hunting grounds of what branched off into Myopia and TCC.
The waiting list at Tedesco is really 6 years? Geez, no such thing down here at Brae Burn

Sean Leary

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 10:55:45 AM »

The club doesn't share anything with Myopia, other than the original Myopia baseball club existed on the grounds in the 1880s before they moved north.  Not sure on the waiting list, but I imagine they are shorter than they were.  My club in Marblehead had a 6-year waiting list in the 90s, and it's down to about 6 months at this point.

Did I say it had anything to do with Myopia?
And yes, it was the original hunting grounds of what branched off into Myopia and TCC.
The waiting list at Tedesco is really 6 years? Geez, no such thing down here at Brae Burn

Was 6 years in the 90's. Now that Brad is a member its down to 6 months. Connection? Perhaps.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 09:21:25 PM »
Nope, no one said there was a connection, was just pointing out that Winchester only occupies the same physical space that Myopia once did before it had golf.  I was adding to the discussion, hoping that the Myopia-heads wouldn't freak out...

Yeah, our waiting list was long because Marblehead and Swampscott are affluent social towns that happen to host a very nice golf course.  Marblehead alone has about 8 yacht clubs, so there is a big community that is interested in club membership.

Interesting about BB though...I would have figured the "closer to Boston" clubs would still have lengthy waiting lists.  I like BB even though I've only played it twice, it's similar to Essex in that it's earlier-career Ross.  My only knock on BB as a course was weakish par 5s, but with distances getting shorter combined with no room to make holes longer...all of Boston's suburban par 5s will be weak sometime soon.  Great layout though!

And yes Leary, when they let me in, clearly everyone left the waiting list.  They had to know I was coming, since my grandparents have been members since before my parents were born.  Funny, I've actually technically been a member for 11 myself...and I was just asked to join my first committee at the age of 29!

So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Travis Dewire

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 12:22:35 PM »
Brad, I apologize. I did not see you had said it is down to 6 months now. Say whatsup to Cy for me next time you see him!

I don't think many clubs in the area have a "true" waiting list. I would guess that most clubs can process your application within a few months time, and have you in by the summer. I know at BB atleast you could be

Really? You thought the par 5's were weak? While #5, and #14 are pretty demanding par 5's (560 and 540 yards, respectively) I can understand your thoughts about the other 2, #10 and #13, both under 500 yards. I find that while I "should" birdie every par 5 out there, you go 0/4 more often than you would care to tell.

Must be nice being a 3rd generation member ;-)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back