News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Dunlop White's Shrinking Fairways is now posted...
« on: February 20, 2002, 08:29:49 AM »
... under In My Opinion.

Given that so many of the all-time greats (NGLA, RM West, St. Andrews, Sand Hills, Pine Valley) feature giant fairways, this is a subject matter that deserves much attention.

And Dunlop's article provides just such a focus.

Cheers,

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Patrick Hitt

Re: Dunlop White's Shrinking Fairways is now poste
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2002, 08:47:51 AM »
Dunlop,
Another informative piece for the greens committees. Thanks for another important contribution to the site's resources.
(High Pointe is in Michigan ;))

Steve Okula

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2002, 10:10:00 AM »
Congratulations to Dunlop on a well written article making a valid architectural point.

But Mr. White fails to address the issue of cost. The problem I see is in the cost of maintaining today´s fairways to the high standard that has become the norm, especially in the U.S.A. Double the width of the fairways, and you can figure at least another 25% or so to the overall maintenance budget. There is the extra hours mowing, aerating, and today even topdressing. The extra fertilizers, herbicides, and fungicides will drive up the green fees/members' dues in a big hurry. The issue of water use, when that is an ever dwindling resource, could stop you in your tracks.

It is important to remember in those grand old days between the wars, they were playing off either crabgrass or bare dirt, for the most part. Fairways were not mowed below 1/2 inch as they are today, but more like twice that high. Fairway irrigation was unknown. Disease, insects and weeds ran amuk, or were controlled with lead-based pesticides that today would land the superintendent in the hoosegow if he were caught with them.

For the wide fairways to work, the golfer will have to accept either a shocking deterioratrion in the quality of the playing surface or an equally drastic increase in the cost to play.

brad_miller

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2002, 10:19:39 AM »
Steve you make a good point, but the reality is that a most clubs this will never happen because there are so many trees that have been planted. At my home club I have suggested we review our entire grass plan and even a minor adjustment would be positive and within the scope of our buget, if we reduce the tree planting. Clearly there a certain holes on all courses that fairway width issues are more important to strategy and playability.

Steve Okula

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2002, 01:26:23 PM »
Brad,

Tell me about it!

At this club I have been urging the removal of trees since I got here last year, mainly to improve sunlight and air circulation to some problem greens and tees.  

So what are we doing?

Buying and planting more trees!

Dunlop_White

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2002, 07:24:54 AM »
This essay, "The Shrinking Fairway", was basically a "post" to Mr. Pat Mucci's thread entitled "The Ultimate Culprit" which asks the pertinent questions? Why have our fairway widths diminished and who or what is to blame? Brad Miller suggested that my "reply" be incorporated under the "In My Opinion" section as another resource for viewers. Evidently, Ran agreed.

I must inform you that the subject matter was inspired by an article that our own, Jeff Mingay, wrote called "Strategical Open Space gives Choices" from the March 13, 2000 addition of Golfweek publication. Thanks Jeff!

Of course, maintenance cost is an obstacle to bringing our ultra-fairway widths back. Public perception that narrow fairways have always been the norm will be hard to overcome as well. But Brad is so correct, the largest obstacle is currently the Tree.

For a more in-depth discussion about tree removal and other restoration measures, see "An Anatomy of a Restoration" at the following link:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/opinionwhite3.html

brad_miller

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2002, 08:24:01 AM »
Dunlop, thanks as always!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back