News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Daughters

Old Course/What Would You Do?
« on: December 29, 2010, 06:44:18 PM »

I want to see the Old Course.  Here's the thing.  It would seem to make no sense to haul all the way there, play the course once (or even twice) and then move on.  But when you're talking multiple plays you're talking multiple dollars and, I have to presume, some serious access issues.  How does one do that and how many plays might it take to be content in the knowledge that, aha.. i have the rudiments of a clue as to what's going on here?  Is a "study" of the Old Course really that essential to one's education?  Is an adequate study even feasible given limitations of time and money?  If one had a choice, which would be more worthwhile.. 2 weeks in St. Andrews or 2 weeks in (name your region of) England? 

Thanks in advance for any input.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Ronald Montesano

Re: Old Course/What Would You Do?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 06:48:59 PM »
There used to be a rule that if you resided in St. A for more than 30 days, you were considered a burgher of some sort and could acquire a pass.  Melvyn can help us on the current state of this rule.  I've often thought of doing this some summer during my 50s, before I am too old to drive the green on the road hole (har har.)  I imagine that you could find a B&B or some other place to rent you a room for the stipulated period of time.

I think that the Old Course is understood best when pitted against the other courses on the property.  I played the New before I played the Old and would relish the opp to return and play as many of the courses, as many times, as possible. 
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 06:56:27 PM »
Gary:

Go to St. Andrews for 8 days (or fifteen), starting on a Sunday.  Spend all day every Sunday walking the course and studying the nuances.  Play as much as you can afford; go over and play at Crail or Elie or some of the other, less expensive courses if you are Jonesing for more golf at lesser prices.  Also, play the Eden course and the Himalayas a bunch of times.

Unfortunately, you can't just go for a couple of weeks and caddie; that's how I got to see so much of the course without having to pay for the privilege.  [Wish I'd paid more ... the green fee was 15 pounds Sterling in 1982!]  I don't know how they feel about people just walking out and observing play nowadays, but it would be worth it to just sit up on the 11th upper tee and watch play from there for a while, and again somewhere around the 14th green, and of course by the Road green.

A couple of the young men who have worked for me actually enrolled at the University there for a semester or for a year so they could qualify for the Links pass and play as much as they wanted ... Mike McCartin played the Old Course something like 75 or 100 times while he was there.

On the other end of the spectrum, you could try and get in to play in the Dunhill Links Championship pro-am.  A wealthy friend of mine does that every year.  He says there is no better way to get access to play The Old Course for three straight days of practice and one of competition, with the holes cut in the real championship locations, unless you are actually invited to join the R & A itself.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 07:01:49 PM »
If you really want to learn the Old Course, two weeks there (and a lot of cash!) would be helpful.

You could also do what I did. Get some of the great books about the history, strategy, and playing of the course. Learn the name of the holes and the bunkers. Immerse yourself for years.  Then go there and play as much as you can. You can walk the course as much as you want on Sundays. You can stand by the 17th and 18th greens and see how players of all skill levels play the holes. Hang out in the Jigger Inn and Dunvegan Hotel bars and chat with the caddies.

For a golfer in love with the game, it's the greatest place on earth!

One thought:  you can sign up for and plan a trip around the Old Course Reverse program. For a reasonable price, you can play the Old, the Reverse Old, and the New or Jubilee the last weekend in March. It's a great event.

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 07:03:52 PM »
Gary

Its a fallacy.  Even if you only get one play on TOC it is worth a go.  Don't worry so much about what you won't learn.  Focus on the fun and being in the moment.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 04:30:08 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 07:16:41 PM »
About a dozen play rounds and another dozen 'just walking it' rounds should get you started.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 07:35:35 PM »
Gary,

As a point of reference, my wife and I spent 14 days there in July of 1989. I played TOC 6 times in that period, all off the ballot or getting on the daily list. We did not attempt to play on Saturdays. We had only one rainy day during that period so weather wasn't an issue. We played Carnoustie one day that we were shut out and actually opted to play there a second time rather than take the risk of trying for TOC. So it can be done; 6 rounds in 8 possible chances! Granted things may be different now, hopefully Chris Kane will chime in as he spent quite some time there and should really know the ropes; He was able to stay as an Australian and had to get on the voters list to qualify for the local rate, so unless you are a UK citizen I don't think you'll qualify for the discount. Although even one play is precious, I would think you need a minimum of 5 or so rounds to come away with at least a modicum of understanding; frankly I've never been so bewildered coming off a course for the first time than my original round there. I do wish we had walked the course on a Sunday as I'm sure you would learn almost as much from that experience as playing, but we chose to use those days for general sight seeing. Good luck on your trip.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Ian Andrew

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 07:38:27 PM »
When I was there in early April, I could have played every day, the ballot never filled and the tee was open in the afternoon.
Timing is everything, play off season....

Mac Plumart

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 07:51:21 PM »
A couple of the young men who have worked for me actually enrolled at the University there for a semester or for a year so they could qualify for the Links pass and play as much as they wanted

Brilliant!!!  Freakin' brilliant!!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 07:59:28 PM »
Gentlemen,

I feel the only way to play the Old Course is to undertake a pilgrimage to Scotland with the starting point being Prestwick, then North Berwick,  Musselburgh and finally the Old Course St Andrews.

This is not a race to play as many old GB&I courses as possible, but to savour the whole historical experience as well as to get an understand of each courses over a few days.

Contacts the clubs, make you intention clear, ask for assistance and cooperation from the Members from simply walking the course with hopefully someone who is aware of the history and the  changes over the years. Embrace the Membership of each club and you will find it most rewarding. My only advice is to play two round on the same day, repeat it if the weather changes before you move on to the next club/course.

As for the last venue, it would be by far more important certainly for you and your visit to St Andrews that you gain ingress to the R&A Club House, however if that is not possible then contact the New Golf Club St Andrews and use it as your base. They may be able to obtain access to the Trophy Room at The R&A

By allotting more time with fewer courses will IMHO give you far more time to fully understand our golf, our club scene and the pure magic of playing our old courses with support and knowledge of local members.

It will stand you in good stead for future visits to the Home of Golf, and anyway how many can boast that they followed the Great Match Trail.

Like a good wine, we golfers should rest, breath and get to know the country and its heritage before we can fully appreciated the experience. To many courses in 10-14 days just waters down the full enjoyment content and is defiantly not the way to enjoy our Old Courses.

Melvyn

Gary Slatter

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 08:48:03 PM »
Gary, I think Tom's correct about walking the course on Sunday and playing the other local courses as well as getting on the Old.  Go anytime other than September and you can usually get on through the ballot or walk on in the afternoons.   If you know when you are going I will contact members at the St Andrews Golf Club who will happily invite you play in some of their local times, although there is no saving for this.  They are a fine group of golfers and I found the Club to be the one club in St Andrews that actually invited visitors to join their games.  Many two balls refuse to allow others to join them as most North Americans do.
Happy to help.  You can also walk with a group, the starter will know who can play and who can't and who wouldn't mind the gallery.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Steve Lang

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 09:09:25 PM »
 8) much in line with others..

back in sep96 we arrived on a saturday, had read TOC books on plane, got in the lottery, settled in our room in Edinburgh, out for dinner in theatre district

took in the site seeing at St. A early Sunday AM, beach, ruins, museum, studied TOC topo map there, check'd lottery and we got in for monday.. go walk the course, grab a snack at the hotel, one last look at 17 & 18, take the long road back along the Firth and the little villages, feel comforatble with the commute, come back monday and play...  no regrets, one play was great, when in doubt stayed left

ms sheila had a brawny lad to carry her bag, i carried my own, we invited two to join our tee time and they had caddies, but they couldn't do as told, so i ended up getting a lot of advice from them on the side and rewarded them at end

just do it
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Gary Daughters

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 11:00:37 PM »

Wow.  Those are some great ideas.  Thanks all for taking the time and sharing your knowledge.

Tom D.. thanks especially.  Sundays, of course!

Sean and Steve... I appreciate your contrarian notions.

Melvyn.. going around twice on a given day recalls my first and only trip to Scotland, and the days I remember best are those when I did just that.  Fine idea.

Again, thanks all. 
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 12:41:32 AM »
I have played the old course 4 or 5 days in a ro several times. On Sunday, early in the day and late in the day one can walk around the course as well. A combination of good fortune, standing in line,  the draw, the golf pro/host at the hotels and being a single or 2some help a great deal. I think one could play there 10 times over 2 week and get rounds in at the New, and other courses in the area the other days. It is only tough to me if one is on a schedule or has to be a part of a 4some each days. Flexible and creative will get you all the TOC you desire. The high money deal is a general UK visitor issue which keeps many golfers away while letting them suffer the poor behavior of corporate travel types.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 09:24:14 AM »
A good friend of mine went over last year with the intention of playing only the Old Course over an 8 day period. I guess money was no object. Singles don't get tee times so he just wandered up to the front door and waited for a spot to open. While waiting around, he told his story about wanting to understand the Old Course. By the end of the day, the starter told him to show up at the same time every morning. By the end of the week he was good friends with the regulars and the employees. Some locals invited him back to play in a tournament the following year.
The point being that the folks over there want to help you if you have a genuine interest in understanding and appreciating their national treasure.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 09:33:44 AM »
As Doak stated, spend Sunday walking the course, forward and then backward.  Take photographs AND make notes/sketches.  Two plays should suffice.  While you will not experience every nuance, nook and cranny, you'll have a good feel for the course.  With the exception of the player trying to squeeze a handful of strokes out of his score, I don't think the course is as mysterious as it is made out to be by the cognoscenti.   That is a minority opinion, however and will likely forever preclude my entrance into Max's Lounge.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 08:41:51 AM »

A couple of the young men who have worked for me actually enrolled at the University there for a semester or for a year so they could qualify for the Links pass and play as much as they wanted ... Mike McCartin played the Old Course something like 75 or 100 times while he was there.

The University also has a summer program for high school students that have finished their junior/11th grade year. (I believe it is a month, but I am not certain.) Ironically, a university representative was at my daughter's school here in the US promoting the university weeks after our round there. She went and spoke with them about the program. My round at TOC with my daughter is forever etched in my mind. I'm pulling for the summer of 2012.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 08:49:43 AM by Bruce Wellmon »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back