News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

David Feherty's Favorite Courses
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:03:05 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Patrick_Mucci

Re: David Feherty's Favorite Courses
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 12:25:54 PM »
Steve,

I love Sleepy Hollow, but, with that terrain, it's not an easy walk.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 01:23:33 PM »
Thanks Steve for that link.  I didn't know Feherty is now posting his witty observations on utube, apparently from his den.  For my taste, I think David is easily the most intelligent and entertaining golf commentator in the business.  What a endlessly curious and gifted man he is!

I saw this one while looking at the other utube Feherty offerings, and felt it is right up Slag Bandoon's alley.  I hope he sees this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R593fGDMwJs&feature=related

I have to find out if he has been to Sutton Bay for the pheasant hunt, or one of the other prairie courses.  The first time I saw Sutton Bay, was coinciding with the opening pheasant hunt season.  I immediately thought of Feherty and imagined he is likely friendly with Graham  Marsh, and thought what a blast it would be to be there with David, despite his not wanting to golf much anymore. What a night of fun that would be sitting around the firepit, some humorously opinionated GCAers with suitable social lubricants - David with his cup of camomile tea, and a prairie size big sky full of stars to stimulate the ultimate world problem solving cowboy philosopher discussion or something just short of universal enlightenment.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 01:47:14 PM »
Feherty likes golf courses that are "a good walk" because he doesn't "play" anymore.  So I guess playing, to him, would amount to a good walk spoiled!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

SL_Solow

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 01:49:14 PM »
David doesn't play because his shoulder never healed properly from a bycycle accident.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 01:53:49 PM »
David doesn't play because his shoulder never healed properly from a bycycle accident.

I know and he's a happier man for having given up the game, based on my one and only conversation with him.  Very interesting chap.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Martin Toal

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 02:57:16 AM »
Fascinating bloke. Was a middling pro for some years but eventually came good and became a pretty good player. Has a series of mostly true hilarious stories from the Tour.

I played a round at Las Colinas in Dallas once and the woman in the pro shop said "Gee, you sound just like David Feherty". Not sure if she meant I just sounded strangely foreign or just had well developed comic timing.

He told a story once about playing as an assistant pro in a winter event on a wet and windy at a nice little links in NI. In fact, this one: http://www.linksgolfkirkistown.com/

He hit his ball into heavy rough, found it, but his next shot was very poor and looked certain to be lost, so he dropped another ball in the rough. This was in the days when you dropped backwards over your shoulder. After he dropped he turned to look for the ball and couldn't find it, so eventually had to drop another. Several holes later, the rain stoped so he took off his rain jacket, and a ball dropped out of the hood.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 03:02:56 AM by Martin Toal »

JSlonis

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
He loves Ridgewood CC in NJ.  Absolutely raved about it on TV.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 05:47:50 PM »
The first time I saw Sutton Bay, was coinciding with the opening pheasant hunt season.  I immediately thought of Feherty and imagined he is likely friendly with Graham  Marsh, and thought what a blast it would be to be there with David, despite his not wanting to golf much anymore. What a night of fun that would be sitting around the firepit, some humorously opinionated GCAers with suitable social lubricants - David with his cup of camomile tea, and a prairie size big sky full of stars to stimulate the ultimate world problem solving cowboy philosopher discussion or something just short of universal enlightenment.

Oh, so that's why you were staring off into the distance like that, all morose-like...

(Emoticons omitted.)

Merry Christmas, Dick. I hope you and David meet up sometime.

P.S. I don't think Mr. Feherty would consider Sutton Bay a "good" walk -- but there has to be an exception to prove every rule, doesn't there?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mark McKeever

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 06:52:52 PM »
Very cool.  Thanks for posting Steve!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back