News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Affordable Public Golf Around Lexington, KY
« on: December 10, 2010, 02:32:06 PM »
Planning next spring's Other Senior Tour and considering Lexington, KY area.   Recommendations from the Bluegrassers?

Thanks.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Anthony Gray

Re: Affordable Public Golf Around Lexington, KY
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 02:47:34 PM »

Pete Dye .....Kearny Hill is a fun one.

Big Blue

Matthew Sander

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 03:21:28 PM »
You've picked an excellent location for affordable public golf. I spent several years there and the golf quality/value ratio is tough to beat. Our buddies trip this past year was in Lexington and I posted some photos and descriptions here - http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45397.0/. A few recommendations are:

1. Kearney Hill - Pete/PB Dye - Several excellent holes and few that are a little shoe horned in, but overall a fun track with variety. 15-18 make for a good finish. The course has been called "Dye light" on the site before. That is probably an apt description with many of his typical features toned down slightly for the scale of the property.

2. Old Silo - Graham Marsh - About 30 minutes east of Lexington it is a very attractive layout. It is cart only though with some severe terrain in places. Bunkering is eye catching, but was in rough shape last year. You may want to call ahead or check with other locals for conditions. That said, if it is even in so-so condition you would enjoy Old Silo.

3. University Club of KY - 36 hole facility with both public and private courses. However, they will allow you to play both for $100. The private course (Big Blue) was renovated by Art Hills around 2001 I believe. He left the routing in tact but redid greens and bunkering. The courses were routed by the original owner when it was the Players Club of Lexington. It is a low key facility with an inviting grill area and well equipped practice facilities. The golf won't change your life, but you'll have an enjoyable day.**There is a newer private facility in town (Keene Run) with the same owner...you may want to inquire about their accessibility.

4. Gibson Bay - This Hurdzan course is an obscene value. I believe the weekday green fee is $14. It is on moderately hilly terrain routed along the hilltops. Again, the course itself will not make the top of anyone's list, but it is one of the best examples I've seen of quality golf that is extremely affordable.

These are just a few suggestions. Some others are Golf Club of the Bluegrass, Cherry Blossom, Peninsula, and Picadome (a charming old school city course built in 1927). If you're looking for private clubs, Idle Hour CC is probably the finest option. Good luck and have a great time!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 03:23:34 PM by Matthew Sander »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 03:33:57 PM »
Matthew, thanks for the comments and link to your thread.  Am I correct in assuming the area courses generally feature cool weather grasses and would be in good shape in late April?

Also, is anyone familiar with the on-site accomodations at Peninsula?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Matthew Sander

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 03:43:25 PM »
Michael,

You are correct, the courses should be in excellent shape by late April and you should have some nice weather (barring the occasional thunderstorm). Most of the courses use cool weather grasses. However, I believe some of the past conditioning problems at Peninsula could be attributed to their use of Bermuda. I don't know if they've changed grasses, but it would be worth a call. There is some very solid architecture at Peninsula, I've just had some really bad experiences with conditioning there and I'm usually not too tough to please. Hopefully someone can weigh in who has had more recent experience.

As far as the accomodations at Peninsula, they seem to be reasonable although I don't have any experinence with them. One issue may be that the course is out in the countryside a bit and would make for more travel time to the other courses. That said the rural areas around Lexington are beautiful and may appeal to your group...take care...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 09:59:19 PM by Matthew Sander »

Billsteele

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 09:21:09 PM »
Mike-I really liked Peninsula when I played it. It has been several years but I recall that the course was very fun to play. While some may disagree, I preferred it to Kearney Hills. The package deals with their on-site lodging were ridiculously inexpensive back then.

Brian Marion

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 09:31:24 PM »
Another thumbs up for Picadome. If you like old school layouts, this one is pretty neat.

Not great but fun for sure.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 10:25:22 PM »
Mike,
I agree with Bill Steele. I like Peninsula better than Kearney Hill, and play there is relatively light so that's another plus. Conditioning can be spotty, but in the spring would likely be better than summer.  I believe their accommodations are condos along the 17th fairway, but I don't really know anything about them.  If you did opt to stay out there, you had best be prepared to grill your own food as there isn't really an option at the course that I know of and the course is probably 30 minutes from any restaurants.

It's also worth noting that if you are trying to play multiple courses from one as a base, Kearney Hill is nearly an hour's drive from Peninsula, and Old Silo is maybe 1:15. 

My opinion might be different if you asked me tomorrow, but right now I would rank in preference:
Peninsula
Kearney
Gibson Bay
Old Silo
Houston Oaks
Cherry Blossom
Golf Club of the Bluegrass
Picadome
The Bull

I left off the University Club as I can never keep up with which course is public access and when.  If your guys lean more towards conditioning than architecture, I think Houston Oaks, University Club, and Kearney are the most reliable.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 11:05:18 PM »
I've only played four courses in the area, but enjoyed the round at Golf Club of the Bluegrass the most, followed by Gibson Bay and Kearney Hill in that order. The fourth was Lakeside, which wasn't bad either. None are great, but all are enjoyable options at a good price.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 08:53:47 AM »
FYI;

Peninsula, this past year, was in absolute horrible shape! It is ok when in condition, but I would not rank it with any at the top locally.

1. Big Blue [UK]

2. Houston Oaks

3. Old Silo

4. Wildcat [UK]

5. Gibson Bay

6. Kearney Hill [other like this course much better]

7. The Bull

8. Cherry Blossom

Golf Club of the Crabgrass would be no where near!  Picadome is indeed an interesting and for old style course with small greens and a lot of subtle problems around them.

Of course, I would always recommend going to Eastern KY instead. Less courses, but much better ones IMHO.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back