News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nick Campanelli

Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Wentworth Hills G&CC closed for good??? (Plainville, MA)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 01:19:03 PM »
Nick,

Tough market, there must be 50 (no exaggeration) other courses within 15 miles of WHGCC.

edit: I think it was a friend of mine from that area (he was involved early on at Buttonhole) who told me that there is a hole where you tee off in Mass. and putt out in RI.

Might be the course's claim-to-fame.  :o

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:47:50 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Nick Campanelli

Re: Wentworth Hills G&CC closed for good??? (Plainville, MA) New
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 03:00:40 PM »
Jim,

I've played there a few times, and would continue to go back if they reopened.  The conditioning, challenge, and routing are up there with the better public options in the area.  In addition to the number of courses in the area, I'm willing to bet length probably keeps away from the course as well.  Its short on the card, but plays longer due to wetland carries and forced layups (typical new england).

I know they have been under at least three different management groups in the past 8 years....so these issues aren't new.

The sixth hole tees off in MA and finishes in RI... kind of unique.  5 holes total play in Rhode Island.

Between Holes 13 & 14

Between Holes 16 & 17

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 05:18:47 PM by Nick Campanelli »
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Wentworth Hills G&CC closed for good??? (Plainville, MA)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 05:17:21 PM »
Nick,

The tag of 'short' along with a lot of lay-up shots does tend to steer away a couple of player types, and forced carries has the same effect on a couple of others. Add in an overly served region and it's hard to imagine what they might do to make themselves viable.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back