News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Wheatley Hills (Emmet & Tull)
« on: December 16, 2010, 05:33:53 PM »
Devereux Emmet had a great ability to create interest through exceptional variety from hole to hole. Wheatley has some amazing holes, among them #2 and #13 both par fours under 370 yards in length. Perhaps the highlight of the course is its quartet of interesting par fives. Rollercoaster contours, bunkering and inspired green settings all factor in .

anyone played Wheatley Hills ?  if so what holes stood out for you   

Phil_the_Author

Re: Wheatley Hills (Emmet & Tull)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 05:57:32 PM »
Mark,

Wheatley Hills is a delightful course. It sits quietly in Williston Park and rolls through and up and down the gentle hills and alongside Northern State Parkway. It is far more challenging than the eye sees and is a very fine example of Emmet's work. It is many years since I was there.

BCyrgalis

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 07:03:10 PM »
I like Wheatley, played a good amount of high school golf there.  You're right, Mark, that No. 2 is a really good hole.  That second shot up the hill makes for some interesting match play.  I also like No. 3, the par-3 with the big ditch between the tee and green, as well as No. 5 (I think), the par-5 that is separated by bunkers as it goes up that same hill and has a small fairway landing area leading into the green.  There are more good holes out there, and it's a fine show of Emmet's ability to make very interesting golf through simply using the land.  Been a while since I've been out there, though.

Unfortunately, when it comes to thinking of Wheatley, I immediately think of the power lines (which run overhead and sometimes can affect shots, along with the big, gray towers holding them up) as well as the holes along the Northern State.  As nice as the course is, the clubhouse is -- and, from what I can gather, the friendliness of the members -- the power lines and highway take away form the ambiance a bit. 

All in all, good track. 

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 12:32:53 AM »
Are you guys certain Wheatley Hills was not massively redesigned at some point? That's a club I grew up within five miles of and went past 1,000 times but I have never been to it in my life. Unfortunately, the same is true of the old Woman's National which I think is what today---Glen Head CC or something?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 05:15:23 AM »
Tom,

I believe it was redesiged when the Northern State Parkway was built and they might have lost some land as a result. I am un certain of the particulars though.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 09:17:48 AM »
Mark,

The Northern State did impact the course and the power lines are very offsetting. The course is a favorite for Met, LIGA, and USGA tournys. Ironic that the course itself impacted the Vanderbilt motor parkway which in a few spots still can be seen...RHE

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 10:46:31 AM »
Are you guys certain Wheatley Hills was not massively redesigned at some point? That's a club I grew up within five miles of and went past 1,000 times but I have never been to it in my life. Unfortunately, the same is true of the old Woman's National which I think is what today---Glen Head CC or something?

TEPaul
Glen Head is really good golf course.
as is Wheatly Hills.(I must be a good focuser as I don't remember power lines ruining my day)
You should play them both sometime
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 11:59:19 AM »
Its been redesigned at least twice awter Emmet worked there.  Once for the construction of the Northern Parkway.  And recently, the bunkers were redone by Hurdzan & Fry.

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back