News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hamilton

Carolina Golf Club on Bing
« on: November 25, 2010, 10:30:14 PM »
Note sure if any of the CGC members or others have taken a look at this, but thought it was a neat find.

I was with my brother in law this afternoon for a family Thanksgiving get together and was discussing the courses we played in the Dixie Cup.  He lives in Charlotte and has played Gaston but none of the other 3.  We eventually found our way to the computer and I decided to try the Bing Birds Eye View of both Charlotte Country Club and Carolina Golf Club.  When I first loaded CGC I realized that the pond adjacent to the second hole was still being excavated and the third hole was prior to the restoration.  When I zoomed in like magic the third hole was transformed.

So apparently the Bird's Eye photo's for that area are from two separate flyovers, one during restoration and one after.  You have to monkey with zoom level and angle to get the version you want but some pretty neat views and angles of some of the great work done there.

A couple of screenshots of the third hole....

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:33:06 PM by Mike Hamilton »

JC Jones

Re: Carolina Golf Club on Bing
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 10:31:29 PM »
Very cool.  Thanks for sharing, Mike.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 03:56:44 PM »
Wow!

What a stark contrast in hole styles.  The pre-resto picture looks as "boring" as ever...glad they made the changes they did.  From standing on the hill behind the clubhouse, the 3rd hole is one of the first things you see, and it is definitely an eye catcher now.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

John Shimp

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 04:24:33 PM »
The old 3 may look "boring" but it was flat out brutal.  What you can't see is all the countour around the green.  The sides fall off steeply and all the recoveries to that tiny circle of a green were tough.  Getting in the left bunker now is a great break and the new larger green size makes the hole easier.  It is still a great hole and the circular mowing patterns that created the old green changed the original but it was anything but boring.

Andy Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 04:48:53 PM »
After the redo at Carolina GC, the third is one of my favorite par three's in North and South Carolina.  The tree removal absolutely made this hole.  I also love what Spence did with the ninth, although I think the hole would visually benefit if the clubhouse in the background was a little more impressive.

Ed Oden

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 05:12:03 PM »
The view from the tee before...

...and after...

John Shimp

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 07:03:07 PM »
Love the from to tee shot view of 3.  Long and tough hole that really gets you thinking after an easy start.

I too like the new 9.  It though is a much easier hole than before due to the huge new green.

3 and 9 at Carolina before Kris' work were crazy hard 3 pars.  Tiny, difficult greens w relatively long irons.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 08:50:03 AM »
Ahhh...those ground level shots tell a much different story than the aerials (definitely not "boring"), but I still prefer the new to the old.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Greg Ross

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 10:25:43 PM »
I would disagree that 9 is any easier since the renovation. Like #3, the green is much bigger, but the only good miss is short and par is still tough from there. Bogey is easy from any other miss.
It's all about the fellowship.

John Shimp

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 01:36:04 PM »
A lot bigger green on a par 3 almost makes it easier by definition unless it's a bear to putt. The new number 9 is easier to putt than the old which had brutal slope. I also think the new green is easier to recover to because it's so large. Which version do you think accounts for more scores over bogey?

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 12:24:32 PM »

...and after...

I can't get over the difference before and after Kris Spence.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »

...and after...

I can't get over the difference before and after Kris Spence.

Also very interesting is a look at No. 3 on the original Ross drawing -- it played originally as No. 8.  Go down toward the bottom of Reply #1 on the following thread and you will see Ed Oden's post of the Ross drawings followed by the Spence drawing: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43053.msg927852/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 12:39:11 PM by Carl Johnson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back