News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

So our Mr Doak’s and his colleagues on GCA.com need to stop worrying about feeding their families or who will feed them – it will come “For Whom The Bell Tolls” if unlucky..

Do not take my word, read Dr Mackenzie

Come to think of it the hazards might improve (demise of shallow bunkers for deeper ones) if only some were willing to learn with the war effort. Get that Penal back into Strategic. Some might even find out the meaning of the word HAZARD when they see carts stuck in old (fake) Bomb craters

In this day and age it could be a job for life, but tell me why am I starting to worry for our soldiers ;)

Melvyn

Dan Boerger

I fear the "aerial" game has advanced too much for any ground game obstacles one could design.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

TEPaul

That Alister MacKenzie, and apparently on his own, figured out how to transpose something as diverse to golf and golf architecture as a particular form of military trench design is part of the reason the man has always been at the top of my list as the best, or at least the most brilliant, golf course architect ever!

However, I have always felt that some of the credit for what Mackenzie did in that vein should go to the Boers themselves for devising such a brilliant and effective military trench concept and in their confrontation with arguably one of the greatest military forces in the history of the world. It went a long way to allowing them to fight perhaps the most powerful military force in the world at the time to something less than a victory for the British and perhaps ultimately a pyrrhic victory at that.

Perhaps what Mackenzie's use in golf architecture from his observations of Boer military trench design should ultimately be called is "Guerrilla Golf Architecture."     ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:11:54 PM by TEPaul »

David Stamm

William P Bell served as a turf consultant for the Army Corps of Engineers for a period of time. Not really a warfare application, but it did lead to he and his son doing quite a few military base courses.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back