News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Discrimination in Golf - Valid handicapp of 24 or less to play
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2010, 10:24:56 AM »

However, there are lots of golfers with handicaps above 15 who are a joy to play with.

Until you play against them in a member/guest. 

I am smart enough to play WITH them in a member/guest... :)

And therein lies the question, is a golfer whose handicap is above 15 that is a joy to play with really above a 15?  I say not.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2010, 10:29:13 AM »
Membership based on handicap and visiter restrictions absed on handicap are two different things. However, in either case, if the clubs in question are private, its nobody's business but their own.  Who ever said individual clubs have an obligation to grow the game?  Why is growing the game deemed so important and is it okay to grow the game with rank beginners?  It seems to me that this end of the business should in the main be handled on courses designed for beginners.  Think about how a child learns the game - that process is what adult newbies should use as a model. 

Ciao 
Good golf courses should be designed for all level of players, challenge the low handicapp and help get aorund the high. I agree private clubs have a legal right to discriminate but I think you miss the point that not all high handicappers are begineers, some just donīt have the time or wish to lead a more balanced life.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2010, 10:33:10 AM »
I think some places use it to discourage complete hackers/beginners from turning up and destroying the course. I once heard a club used to take guests to the range with the pro watch them hit a couple of shots and then say decide if they could play the course.

nothing wrong with the policy in my book. it is their course so i have to play by their rules.

Sean_A

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2010, 10:57:25 AM »
Membership based on handicap and visiter restrictions absed on handicap are two different things. However, in either case, if the clubs in question are private, its nobody's business but their own.  Who ever said individual clubs have an obligation to grow the game?  Why is growing the game deemed so important and is it okay to grow the game with rank beginners?  It seems to me that this end of the business should in the main be handled on courses designed for beginners.  Think about how a child learns the game - that process is what adult newbies should use as a model. 

Ciao 
Good golf courses should be designed for all level of players, challenge the low handicapp and help get aorund the high. I agree private clubs have a legal right to discriminate but I think you miss the point that not all high handicappers are begineers, some just donīt have the time or wish to lead a more balanced life.

Randy

Good courses may or may not be designed for all levels of players, however, that is an architectural issue rather than a club policy issue.  As I said before, I suspect many clubs retain a policy about minimum handicap to essentially reserve the right to turn folks away (for whatever reason).  If a chap remains a high capper I am afraid he is more at risk of being discriminated against.  Doesn't Sunningdale essential require a single digit cap to join?  I can't say this is a bad thing, but I wouldn't necessarily say its a good thing.  It all depends on the who we are talking about.  Lord knows I have been stuck behind complete knuckleheads and I didn't care what their handicap was, but very few were of the sort I would call good golfers.  The first club I joined in the UK made me take a written test of knowledge, history, rules and etiquette.  I thought this was a damn good idea, but have never heard of it elsewhere.  The junior members had to be of a certain handicap (I think 22) to be allowed on the course by themselves.  I thought it might not be a bad plan for adult members (a sort of probationary membership much like a driver licesnse) until they reach a certain proficiency and pass the required exams.  I don't think it is any big secret why golf is taking longer to play in the UK, many clubs have moved away from core golfers for members and take in whoever turns up at the door.  This is partly why I left one club - my average round time went up 13 minutes and that coincided with a ton of new members, most of whom I would call poor golfers.  When I say poor it isn't just their ability, its their lacky of savy as well.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Randy Thompson

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2010, 01:23:08 PM »
Sean,
I here what your saying and understand both points of view. I use to play a lot at Teeth of the Dog and there were always groups of high handicappers playing the back tees and trying to get their moneyīs worth. They slowed up play for everybody else and was always frustrating waiting for them to let you play through. I feel it was a lack of ethics by them by choosing the back tees. The resort should have had better marshalling and reinforce or insist that the players should play the tees corresponding to their ability in order to not effect the enjoyment of others and cause clubs to take inproper measure that prohibit all high handicappers including those that respect the game and display proper ethics.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back