News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: Fishers Island Club - a day in the life
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 07:43:10 PM »
Unbelievable.  I've lived in the States my whole life, with Fishers on my top five "to play" list, and Mick Dundee gets to play it during his week in the States.  It looks like an awesome day there, Scott.  Two questions:

Is Seth Raynor the most underrated architect in GCA history?

How was the frosty at Wendy's?

John-Is Raynor really underrated? :o He gets plenty of love from guys on this board who are certainly in the know. :)

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 10:00:04 PM »
Scott:

This really is a fantastic thread.  The Eden hole is stunning.

We need more of this understated - but vexing - sort of review.

WW

JNC Lyon

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 11:42:20 PM »
Unbelievable.  I've lived in the States my whole life, with Fishers on my top five "to play" list, and Mick Dundee gets to play it during his week in the States.  It looks like an awesome day there, Scott.  Two questions:

Is Seth Raynor the most underrated architect in GCA history?

How was the frosty at Wendy's?

John-Is Raynor really underrated? :o He gets plenty of love from guys on this board who are certainly in the know. :)

Maybe underrated is not the right word.  I see a good amount of criticism of Raynor's work that I find very misplaced.  People doubt whether he was creative, whether his courses are too artificial and whether his courses are playable.

From what I've seen (and I've only seen Fox Chapel, Yeamans Hall, and a very chopped-up Thousand Islands), Raynor makes superb use of the land through excellent routings.  I think Yeamans Hall is one of my favorite routings anywhere, taking the golfer in all different directions, finding the best features of the land, and opening up to the views and wind of the neighboring tidal marsh.  Additionally, while Raynor may use features that are manufactured and penal, his courses are damn fun to play.

Since this was Scott's first experience with Raynor, I'd ask him what he thought of all this.  Does Raynor's engineered style obscure the great natural features that are obviously so present at Fishers?  Or does his routing and fun use of template holes make the course that the setting that much better?

I know the answer he gave me, but I'd like to hear what he says to the forum. ;)

And Scott, I guess I'd agree with your Park pick for most underrated, although Paton and Low are never discussed here or anywhere, and they produced my favorite inland course, Woking.  Still, Huntercombe and Worplesdon (more Park than JFA I'd bet) were a great duo for me.  Frankly, though, Abercromby might get a little more credit than he deserves.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:43:56 PM by JNC_Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mike Benham

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 11:50:57 PM »

Is the 7th green off-camera to the left? 

David Kelly launches one towards the 7th green.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mark Arata

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 08:53:39 AM »
wind was coming across a bit and he hits a draw/hook a lot.....

i crushed a 3 iron on the eden from 146, just got it to front of green.... 10 ft under the hole.....missed the putt and the wind blew the ball back 30 yrds off the green..... wind was impossible on 11 and 13 for both rounds.....fun, but impossible!  ;D

New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2010, 10:57:55 PM »
Mike B

Scott has already commented since that the pic of DK is on the 6th and not 7th

KP: You're right, that's the 6th DK is on. As chance would have it, I was there a year to the day after you! Next game is Riv late next week.

Scott

Glad to see that you will have the opportunity of a Thomas education - note that the kik isn't like anything back home  ;)

Scott Warren

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2010, 11:49:16 PM »
Mike B: I have now corrected that caption. Though in my defence he did push the crap out of it and it made a pretty good beeline for the 7th green...

John L: Like any great golf course, I thought one of the greatest strengths of Fishers was the green sites. 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 18 are all great sites and I think it's pretty clear it would have been a tough ask to get all those sites into the one cohesive routing. Of course it all looks so obvious playing it decades later. It usually does!

As you note, the shapes may look engineered, but what's built on the ground enhances the natural land shapes and formations in many instances. I liken it to someone drawing a characature. I may have a big forehead, but in a characature it would be enormous, in the same vein it felt like Raynor exaggerated things where his templates fit, rather than forcing the land to build a hole where it didn't belong.

For instance, the 12th green already is on land leaning L-to-R, but the massive left-hand kickpad and carverous RHS bunker make that land movement even more extreme. It has clearly been built, but it is BOLD and I think more than any other fact that boldness is what makes such clearly manufactured features work. At least to my eye.

And still, you get holes like 3 and 4, 6 and 9, which all, but for some green shaping and bunker construction, feel as draped over the land as anything I played in Britain.

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2010, 06:09:52 AM »
Mark: A beast of merciless anger, for sure. None of us made a score, but the conditions made the occasional good shot all the more satisfying!

Thanks George. Pretty cool to compare:

George

Why do you spose the powers that be dropped the eye line of the right bunker to below the green? 

Scott

It sure seems like you had a fine time on the right coast.  Anything about the non-golf stuff that particularly appealed?

Thanks for the pix!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Scott Warren

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2010, 09:11:07 AM »
About a million things have appealled, Sean. The USA is just a wonderful place with great sights, scenery, people, delicious ribs and brisket, pretty good beers...

Highlights have been

NYC: The Met, Central Park, Statue of Liberty and the pizza. Also just walking the streets. It's the first place I have been where just being there is exciting.

New England: Newport RI, The autumn/fall colour and the seafood. I didn't care much for Boston, but in fairness I wasn't there long.

Washington DC: The American History Museum, Air and Space Museum, Georgetown at night, Lincoln Memorial.

We arrived in Arizona yesterday and are in Sedona at the moment, which might be the most beautiful place I have ever been. We're off to the Grand Canyon this morning.

Though the effect of regular mid-length flights has been almost constant jetlag since we got here (for me, Kerry could sleep at a Metallica gig hanging by her feet), but on the plus side I have seen some good sunrises!

I have a few pics to share when I get back home.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:17:47 AM by Scott Warren »

Bruce Katona

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2010, 09:37:25 AM »
Great pictures and comments...thank you.

hick

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2010, 11:12:31 AM »
scott,  Did you get a chance to play Newport or wanumetonomy while in Newport.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »
Here is a construction picture of the Eden at F/Is - compare it to the above if youlike

George, I wonder why no Strath bunker?  There's plenty of room!

George Pazin

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2010, 04:05:55 PM »
Good things happen to good people.

Thanks for the pix.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott Warren

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »
Mat, I didn't. Fishers was the only course I played in New England. PM replied to also!

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2010, 06:03:08 PM »
Scott: I am so glad that you are taking in some of our great ladscapes (urban as well as rural and golf) on your visit. Please fill us on on your Grand Canyon trip. And please just ignore the political adds on television.

Are you going to Phoenix- Talking Stick, We-ko-Pa, et al?

Boston is my favorite city in the US, but then I'm a Colonial America/Revolutionary War buff. (Not surprised it doesn't appeal to a Brit, assuming you are one, even after 235 years!-lol) Great Italian food in addition to the sea food.

Glad you are enjoying your trip and best wishes the rest of the way.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2010, 09:03:31 PM »
Mat, I didn't. Fishers was the only course I played in New England. PM replied to also!

Scott,

Please review the JC Jones thread. http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46242.0/

Sorry to say that due to an old Indian tribe negotiation, Fishers Island is in fact in NY State. Tell your bride you need to turn around asap.  ;)

Scott Warren

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2010, 09:09:43 PM »
Good point Mike. I haven't played in New England after all. Better fly back over and rectify that! ;D

It was strange to be standing on a piece of land belonging to NY, having accessed it via CT and the nearest part of the mainland belongs to RI!

Mike Benham

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2010, 12:25:32 AM »

Mike B: I have now corrected that caption. Though in my defence he did push the crap out of it and it made a pretty good beeline for the 7th green...

My comment had nothing to do with the label of the photo and everything to do with the direction of the shot.  To execute a shot like that does Mr. Kelly have grooves on the hosel of his club?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Scott Warren

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2010, 12:39:36 AM »
Fair enough ;D In truth, it's unfair that I chose that pic of David to post. He played really well for most of the day.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2010, 03:34:40 AM »
Not surprised it doesn't appeal to a Brit, assuming you are one, even after 235 years!-lol
Jim,

You clearly haven't been paying attention.  Mr Warren is an Aussie and therefore of lower stock even than a Yank, in the eyes of any blue-blooded Brit!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2010, 08:35:04 PM »
For those familiar with Fishers, when was the front bunker on the 9th pulled out? I was just in a clothes shop that had golf books to keep menfolk busy while their ladies shopped and the full page pic of the hole in Planet Golf USA shows a very C&C-looking bunker short of the green over to the left of centre. Anyone know?

Judging by the most recent GoogleMaps aerial, it must have been pretty recent.

hick

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2010, 12:33:04 AM »
Scott , I just looked at my Planet golf book, and the bunker is in the photo but not in yours. The bunker must have pulled out in the last couple of years, as the book is maybe three years old. maybe Donnie Beck will chime in.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2010, 11:48:25 AM »
Well thanks Scott for the new distraction in my life.  ::) ;)  I don't generally look at too many blogs after trying to keep up with threads on GCA.com.  But, your FI thread is so compelling that I just had to pick on your blog link.  What a wonderful golf journey!  Well, we will soon be in winter here, and I look forward to browsing your web blog further. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Scott Warren

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »
Thanks RJ, it has been an incredible couple of years.

John Shimp

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2010, 09:28:15 PM »
The weather and seas around Fishers Island are extraordinary. I was a submarine officer there years ago and the danger off the southwest side of Fishers is known throughout the Navy.  There is a light at Race Rock which is just off Fishers where  tides rip at 8 knots and many deaths/sin kings have occurred.  On the ocean side of Fishers the water quickly drops to over 200 ft. We used to submerge the boat briefly there on occasion as you can't find that depth for many more miles out to sea.  Really an amazing physical place to site a golf course. All this supports the vigorous nature of a round there I'd imagine. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back