News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Alexander

Askernish
« on: April 14, 2012, 05:39:20 AM »
I will be visiting Askernish next week, which should be a trip to savour since I have heard so much about the course and its history.
I was wondering if those who have made the trip to Old Tom's lost masterpiece could comment on what makes this place so special. Does the remoteness play a part, or is Old Tom's design (and its resurrection) really that good?
Any tales would be most welcome.

PS I will, of course, post images here on my return.

Mac Plumart

Re: Askernish
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 09:31:29 AM »
The stretch of holes in the dunes are some of the best I've ever seen.

Holes 1-6 are good.

But then 7-16 are truly world class.  I could go hole by hole but I'll highlight just a few.  The approach to 9 is as good as it gets.  Island type of green instead of water it is a raised plateau green with lots of recovery options.  The par 3 11th is one of the very best in the world.  200-ish yards with an infiniti type of green with the Ocean as the backdrop.  The duel fairway par 5 12 is a truly great golf hole.  Old Tom's Pulpit (16) is one of the coolest green complexes I've ever seen.

17-18 then wind the round down.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 09:53:08 AM »
Mark A. -

The renovated/restored Askernish golf course has been discussed here at great length over the past couple of years, although I don't recall any recent posts. If you can get the Search feature to work, you should be able to find those threads, many of which contain pictures of the course. Several GCA-ers have been there, including Forrest Richardson and Tom Doak.

By the way, how are you getting to South Uist? By plane or car ferry? How long are you planning to stay?

P.S. Just found a very long thread, with many pics, from a few years ago on Steve Salmen's visit to Askernish:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=41213.0

DT
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 09:58:45 AM by David_Tepper »

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 11:44:40 AM »
"comment on what makes this place so special"

The local Salar salmon and a glass of Highland Park with Ralph.... :)

Steve Salmen

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 01:02:48 PM »
My wife and I spent our first anniversary on South Uist.  We played two rounds.  It was incredibly windy the whole time.  I kept the driver in the bag and tried to knock two irons 150 yards down the fairway 5ft off the ground.  I loved every minute of it.  With luck, I hope to return.

BTW, if you find yourself in the unfortunate position of never wanting to be found by anyone, this is the closest to the middle of nowhere I've been.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 05:43:13 PM »
From the Road Hole bunker to an anniversary trip at Askernish, plus she's beautiful? Mr. Salmen, you're a very lucky guy!

James Boon

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 03:48:31 AM »
Mark,

As David says, you should be able to find plenty of discussions using the search, but here is the photo tour I posted:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41817.0.html

The golf course which has been, lets say resurrected, is an excellent course, and though because of the way its developed it is a little rough around the edges this adds to the charm. Once the course has a few more years under its belt, its condition will get better and it has every potential to be considered a serious course and not just the museum piece that some may think of it at the moment.

For me though, one of the most magical elements is its setting! The Outer Hebrides are a fantastic set of islands and the journey there is just as magical! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 09:23:01 AM »
James...FANTASTIC photo tour of Askernish!!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

jkinney

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 03:14:05 PM »
Mark -- Askernish is indeed a pure joy to play and experience. I trust you've alerted Chairman Ralph that you're coming. You'll find him a most pleasant and welcoming fellow. Have a great time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back