News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Harris Nepon

Eastern Canada
« on: October 12, 2010, 05:15:11 PM »
I had the pleasure of visiting the east coast of Canada today for the first time. Actually I haven't really gotten to "visit" so much as fly in to the airport, attend a meeting, and back to the airport. Fortunately, when you fly into Saint John, New Brunswick, it's on a tiny 30 seater that doesn’t fly to high. From here you are able to see the wonderful coastline that seems to beg for world class golf courses.

We all know about Cabot Links and Highland Links. I'm wondering if any of the guys in the know here on the site have some insight as to why there isn't more golf out here?

Think I had my GCA epiphany today when I realized I search for good golf land on my travels. Very cool to learn about this stuff and change your view of the world.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Eastern Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 05:57:49 PM »
Harris,
There's a lot of golf in the Maritimes.  PEI has a lot of it, and we all know about Nova Scotia.  Newfoundland info here:  http://www.golfnl.ca/golfnl.mov

For New Brunswick, check out http://golfnb.ca/contests.php

Guy Nicholson

Re: Eastern Canada
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 06:06:51 PM »
Harris,

There is good golf in Atlantic Canada. There are several good and well-known courses on Prince Edward Island (Dundarave and Crowbush Cove stand out) and others in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland (Digby Pines, Fox Harb'r, Twin Rivers, Humber Valley, etc.) that don't have stronger international profiles these days for various reasons - geography, finances, antiquation. The season is shortish and the population density is relatively low, which may explain why there's not more.

New Brunswick's economy has traditionally geared toward resource extraction more than tourism. I'm sure there's more, but the highest-profile golf I'm aware of in the Saint John area is at St. Andrews (yes, really), just across the border from Maine.

That Fundy coast is amazing from the air, though, isn't it?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back