News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Shane Wright

Local Scotland Knowledge
« on: October 12, 2010, 10:14:26 AM »
Sorry for another Scotland topic but I didn't want to raid the other and have a couple of quick questions.

I have been to Scotland once, but it has been ten years.  We have a trip booked for next August.  I know that there are websites for travel planning and drive times, but I have often found the drive times to be a little off from the actual drive times (i.e. Ireland)

1.  How far is the drive from Edinburgh (airport) to Aberdeen?
2.  How far is the drive from Carnoustie to Gleneagles? Gleneagles to St. Andrew's?
3.  Does anyone have good recommendations for a bus company to accompany travel for a larger group (12+)?

Thank you very much!

Shane

Bill_McBride

Re: Local Scotland Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Shane, no help with any of the above, but here'a a thought from my last trip that included both Dornoch and St Andrews.  I flew into Gatwick and took an Easy Jet flight to Inverness.  This got me into a rental vehicle quickly and in Dornoch 90 minutes later,  It's 5 hours drive Edinburgh - Dornoch and probably close to Aberdeen.  You could also fly into Aberdeen on Easy Jet.  (Recently I heard that Continental flies Houston-Aberdeen.)

On the way home you could fly Edinburgh back to Gatwick like I did.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 10:27:42 AM »
Edinburgh airport to Aberdeen is about 120 miles and dual carriageway all the way, so I would expect it to take not much more than two hours. The A90 is _loaded_ with speed cameras, though, so it's not a road to burn up.

Between Gleneagles and either Carnoustie or St Andrews is about an hour and a quarter or thereabouts.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Shane Wright

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 10:29:29 AM »
Thanks for the info Bill.  

There are few things I would want more than to travel up to Dornoch with this group (been there once).  However, with the size of the group, age variances, golfing abilities, etc. we are keeping things close in terms of geography.  We think we have the "tough" times secured, however, a few want to be greedy and possibly venture up to play CB/RAberdeen.  

Otherwise, for 5 days, we are sticking to the SA/East Lothian area.  

But WHEN I go back (less than ten years this time) Dornoch will be on the rota FOR SURE.

Shane Wright

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 10:31:05 AM »
Edinburgh airport to Aberdeen is about 120 miles and dual carriageway all the way, so I would expect it to take not much more than two hours. The A90 is _loaded_ with speed cameras, though, so it's not a road to burn up.

Between Gleneagles and either Carnoustie or St Andrews is about an hour and a quarter or thereabouts.

Awesome, thank you Adam. 

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 05:47:36 PM »
Shane,
a Navy man NEVER apologises for another Scotland thread. There is NO SUCH THING as ANOTHER Scotland thread!!!! ;D

Anyway,
if you're planning on lodging in one place for the whole visit, there'll be a local bus co that'll be delighted to assist. If you're looking to move accoms, you'd be better using a co from the place you're staying. Local bus guys don't want to travel from Fife to Aberdeen (say) to move some drunk golfers around! Very much depends on your Itin, of course.

August can be a lovely time to play in Scotland. Long days and decent weather mean you can really maximise your time. The Obligatory Melvyn Alert: There's still not many Carts, though.

;)
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 06:01:22 PM »

Marty

So its still remains the best place to play Golf. Home, Home on The Tees where the sheep and the......... thats for our American friends to make them feel at home ;) 

Melvyn

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 06:14:49 PM »

Marty

So its still remains the best place to play Golf. Home, Home on The Tees where the sheep and the......... thats for our American friends to make them feel at home ;) 

Melvyn

Last time on the Balcomie I saw two young Scots in a cart.  Could have blown me over with a feather!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 06:18:35 PM »
WHAT!?!?!

Did you get names?

The Kartstasi will be operating tonite!

;)
Neffers.

Shane Wright

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 06:29:31 PM »
Shane,
a Navy man NEVER apologises for another Scotland thread. There is NO SUCH THING as ANOTHER Scotland thread!!!! ;D

Anyway,
if you're planning on lodging in one place for the whole visit, there'll be a local bus co that'll be delighted to assist. If you're looking to move accoms, you'd be better using a co from the place you're staying. Local bus guys don't want to travel from Fife to Aberdeen (say) to move some drunk golfers around! Very much depends on your Itin, of course.

August can be a lovely time to play in Scotland. Long days and decent weather mean you can really maximise your time. The Obligatory Melvyn Alert: There's still not many Carts, though.

;)
FBD.

Marty,

We will probably stay in St. Andrew's for four of the nights and travel to and from Carnoustie, North Berwick,etc.  There will be 2 or 3 places where we stay just one night.  

Walking and playing is a part of our "Gorsemen" mantra.  Anyone requesting a cart in Scotland from our group will be banished forever.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 06:37:32 PM »
Shane,
sounds cool. Try 'St Andrews Executive Travel'. I see their buses around Fife all the time. They look nice - dark windows for the hungover and tables for the card games! Pretty sure they do Airport transfers too.
Your one-night stands may be slightly more problematic. Every town has a small bus co which can hopefully assist! You'll find we Scots are a friendly bunch, although face-licking may cost extra.

cheers,
FBD.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 06:40:44 PM »
WHAT!?!?!

Did you get names?

The Kartstasi will be operating tonite!

;)
Neffers.

2005, the Thursday the Open started in St Andrews.  It was shocking.  Two healthy looking young lads as well.   :o :o

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 06:54:34 PM »
Enjoy the trip, I've always found this quite helpful.

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/classic/planner_main.jsp 
Let's make GCA grate again!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 07:48:45 AM »

Bill

Re your comment Reply #7

“ Last time on the Balcomie I saw two young Scots in a cart.  Could have blown me over with a feather!”.

Thanks Bill for the information, seems the Cull that year missed some of the petulant Shite Hawks, but have been advise that next years cull will be more sweeping to remove these rotten apples before they infect the whole cart ops sorry barrel.

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back