News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

Lost Dunes and Crystal Downs (Now Pics) New
« on: September 25, 2010, 11:18:20 AM »
I have been back in Michigan all week preparing for my brothers weddign that is today. I was fortunate to play both Crystal Downs and Lost Dunes on back to back days. I will post pctures of both when I return to Florida tomorrow, but for someone who has been quite critical of Mr. Doak's courses, I was BLOWN away by LD. First of all, the condition was flawless, especially considering the brutal summer that most have endured. Secondly, everything is done right at LD-The small details, from the service, to the caddies, to the dune grasses, to the maintenance of the playing areas. The greens, though VERY contoured, were at a very fair speed to accept shots and allow for a good run at putts. I wnjoyed the course so much, I hardly noticed the highway going in the middle of it. LD is a course that you can easily remember EVERY hole onthe course, which to me, is a sign of great golf course. I really can't say that there is a poor hole out there and LD is a course that I could play every day.
  Crystal Downs is so packed with history, it's hard to understand it all when standing onthe first tee. We played in a 25 mph wind and had the entire course to ourselve. Mr. Fred Mueller (sp) was so gracious to give us a tour of the clubhouse and also meet us ont he 10th tee to tell us some stories. Pictures do not even come close to doing justice for the amount of movement on the course. The greens were very firm, quick and staying below the hole is the ONLY was to hope to score at CD. There is such a mix of holes, blind shots, elevated greens, downhill tee shots, great set of par 3's and great conditioning.
  Along with Arcadia Bluffs, this is the best that Michigan has to offer and can hang its head proudly. TREMENDOUS golfing experiences.
 Just a few pics of LD and CD

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:05:13 AM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Greg Krueger

Re: Lost Dunes and Crystal Downs
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 12:06:01 PM »
Anthony, sounds like you had a great couple of days. Look forward to your pictures!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 07:08:45 PM »
but for someone who has been quite critical of Mr. Doak's courses, I was BLOWN away by LD

Anthony...I look forward to pictures and discussion of the courses.  But I am also interested in what aspects of Tom's courses you are critical of.  If you could share that as well, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Chris Flamion

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 10:22:46 PM »
Having been to LD, I can agree it is a special place.  11 may be the hole I enjoyed the most(even if I have scored the worst on it).  

What hole was your favorite, or at least the one that you wanted to play again after that first go.

Chris

Donnie Luper

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 12:12:01 AM »
I agree that Lost Dunes is brilliant. LOVED the green contours and the design variety was outstanding. My favorite hole was #11  followed by #14. .

One of my favorite Tom Doak courses is in norther Michigan and is Black Forest. It is a public course so was not in the best condition but I loved the variety of holes there also. It does not get as much notice as some of the other courses he has done but I felt it was well worth the effort to go to this out of the way course.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 08:25:45 AM »
I'll agree as well that both Crystal Downs and Lost Dunes are wonderful. I think Lost Dunes does as well as it could with the highway split--it really isn't the deterrent that it could have been. Whereas some good courses have holes that obviously stand above the rest, I really think Lost Dunes has a great set of holes--perhaps #11 would be my favorite as well but I can't think of any real weak ones which might be because the greens are good.

Crystal Downs is wonderful as well. In some ways I think I appreciate the course more now than I did when I actually played it. I would go with CD, Kingsley, and LD as my three favorites in Michigan.

Peter Pratt

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 08:17:53 AM »
I played CD for the first time in 20 years on Friday, when the wind was gusting--according to the guys in the pro shop--to 43 mph. What a treat to play in those conditions. I hit 7-iron from 98 yards on #17 after smoking a driver 213! Made a nifty 8. What struck me about the greens was that the level putts were yip-inducingly fast, but the roll out on the downhill and sidehill putts was so pronounced. Of course, there are visible and scarifying slopes on many of the greens, but the challenge for me was the less obvious slopes. John, the member with whom we played, said that the pin placements Friday were particularly devilish, but he may have been protecting our egos. I must say that I have putted off greens more than a few times in my years of golf, but never have I done so on my second putt--from 6 feet above the hole on #1.

CD was as good as I remembered it, even without the tree on #17.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back