News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

Lower Cascades Closes
« on: May 10, 2013, 10:45:37 PM »
The Roanoke Times reported today that The Homestead has closed the Lower Cascades and will sell the property.  No maintenance has been performed on the property this year.

Sam Snead played the Lower frequently in his later years.  He shot 60 there when he was 72 and I saw him on the property more than once.  My brother and I played through him on the par five twelfth hole one afternoon.  Funny story, actually, that I can't remember if I've shared on GCA.

Three or four calendar years ago the Lower spent a year closed for play.  Minimal maintenance was conducted but there just wasn't enough demand to operate the course.  I played the course last June.  It was empty outside of my group.

In related news, I heard today that the Cascades is only open four days a week now.

WW

Billsteele

Re: Lower Cascades Closes
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 10:59:38 PM »
Wade-I played the Old White at the Greenbrier last week and our forecaddie told us about the Lower Cascades. On my one trip to the Homestead, I played the Upper Cascades and the Old Course but the Lower Cascades had not been reopened from its winter closure. I notice in the frequent emails that I get from the Homestead that they are opening up things like a water park and a miniature golf course. Does this reflect a change in philosophy in the management of the resort (is quality golf not the draw it once was?) or does it reflect that the economic recovery still has a ways to go?

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Lower Cascades Closes New
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 11:31:15 PM »
Wow!! How the mighty have fallen.  It is difficult to believe that an old venerable resort like the Homestead would be having such troubles.  But then again the last time I was there it looked as though the upkeep was not up to their standards in the Hotel itself.  I never really liked the course but I am saddened to hear that it may close.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 01:51:24 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Wade Whitehead

Re: Lower Cascades Closes
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 07:57:40 AM »
Bill:

The Homestead has completely changed its marketing and looks to a different demographic now.  The water park and mini golf are tips of the "family fun" iceberg.

The Lower was always more of a local place than the other two courses.  Regular players from in and around Bath County found games there and its clubhouse, cart barn, and lack of a restaurant really did make it feel like a muni of some sort.  There were a couple of good holes (as there are on just about any layout) but the course was so inferior to the Cascades that I would never have chosen to play it instead.

Such things conspire and don't survive.

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back