News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Northeast Ohio Where to Play in 2 weeks? Ross wanted...
« on: September 03, 2010, 10:22:07 AM »
I am passing through Northeastern Ohio in 2 weeks on my way back from palying golf in Western Pennsylvania. I would like to try and squeeze a few "new to me" Donald Ross courses in as well as the SOON TO CLOSE FOREVER Fowler's Mill Golf Course. I am leaning towards these 3:

Hawthorne Valley CC
Mill Creek North
Mill Creek South

Does anyone have any information on any of these courses? Are the Mill Creek Courses dull and uninteresting????? Are they discernable as Ross designed?

Thanks!

PS:  I have already played Mannakiki CC.

Rich

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:36:00 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Evan Fleisher

Re: Northeast Ohio Where to Play in 2 weeks? Ross wanted...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 11:09:17 AM »
Rich,

I'd say that Hawthorne Valley is worth a visit...but bring a chainsaw!  8)

Seriously though, they do not allow walking early in the day (so you might want to ask about that, if it is an issue for you) and the course is a bit "mature" in the tree area...even still I thought it was an enjoyable round and some interesting architecture out there.  Not many places to "miss" around the greens, and a lot of movement in the terrain.

I have not played Mill Creek, so cannot provide you any feedback.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Jason Connor

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 03:22:41 PM »
To me Manakiki is worth another play.  They made some major changes 3-5 years ago, so if you haven't played since then, do.

I also loved Sleepy Hollow, it's a Stanley Thompson design & also a Metroparks course like Manakiki.

I think Acacia CC (Ross) is gone, right?

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 04:42:09 PM »
Richard:

Both of Mill Creek's golf courses are worth checking out. Since the park has always been public, I don't believe hardly any of the greens have been altered because they haven’t had the excess money to change (and ruin) what Ross did there.  Both of the golf courses are situated in a creek valley with some moderately rolling terrain.  Both courses are a bit overpopulated with trees but it is not very claustrophobic.

The North course is the shorter of the two and has the more interesting set of greens and the South course is a bit longer and the terrain is not as rolling.  Both courses are very enjoyable to walk and the price is $25 for each.  There is a lot of good stuff to see on both golf courses.  It’s a great 36-hole day if you can do it.

Jason:

Acacia is still in business.  Oakwood closed this past year and most of their membership migrated to the Mayfield–Sand Ridge Club.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 08:48:27 PM »
Jason,

I played Manakiki approximately 4 years ago in the fall, and it was pretty DARN GOOD. I have also played Sleepy Hollow (18 of them anyway) and it was excellent as well.

Mainly trying to sneak in NEW courses on my way back from a weekend golf trip in PA with friends from CT.

Dean,

I think I might do Fowler's Mill that SUnday in the PM and then early Monday morning play all 36 at Mill Creek prior to returning to Cincinnati. Hawthorne Valley CC can wait. I am thinking that Mill Creek might just be my cup of tee, it sounds interesting,

I would love to see Acacia CC As well at some point as well.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tom MacWood

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 09:55:30 PM »
I like Sleepy Hollow too. Its not public, but Canton Brookside is very good, and so is Congress Lake (part Ross part Willie Park) although not quite as good as Brookside. Westbrook in Mansfield is under appreciated and well worth checking out too. Youngstown CC (part Barker part Ross) is also very interesting.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 11:51:34 PM »
If you are cool with not Ross and have access, I will say that Kirtland CC -- an Allison NE of Cleveland -- is really, really good.

Truly one of the biggest pleasant surprises I've had.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back