News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Bandon and Pacific Dunes videos
« on: August 27, 2010, 10:43:12 AM »
anybody get these?  i see they are available  online via the BD website

there are 3 short preview clips for both...they look pretty cool...

and pls note Tom D mischievously saying how the number 4 fairway naturally runs toward the ocean...
198 played, only 2 to go!!

Tim Bert

Re: Bandon and Pacific Dunes videos
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 11:14:27 AM »
A friend bought me the Pacific Dunes one as a thank you for arranging our last trip out there.  I have watched it once and it is a nice, concise summary of the course.  I will watch it again before March, and armed with the architect's tips I will impress Eric Smith with my local knowledge.

Jud_T

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 11:31:18 AM »
More importantly, when's the Old Mac video coming out?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael Robin

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 01:11:45 AM »
Jud-

The film has finished editorial and has been entered for consideration in a certain Film Festival. I'm currently refining added features for the DVD. Pretty neat piece about Don Placek and the home office in Traverse City; Cool piece on bunkers by Bruce Hepner; elongated features on holes like The Redan, Hogsback/Punchbowl, Hell Bunker and Short. Some GCAers made the cut in a segment in the film about Opening Day - Choi, Bert and Mayhugh to name a few.

Tim Bert

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 01:28:43 AM »
Michael - Glad to hear the production is going well. Is it coming straight to DVD or is it going to be aired first - or is that still TBD?  I know at one point you were exploring a few options but I never heard how that played out.

Did Rich or I end up with a speaking role or are we just standing next to Mayhugh with our mouths gaping wide open as he waxes poetic on Macdonald and his thoughts on the golf course?

Michael Robin

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 01:47:35 AM »
Tim, both!  ;)

Michael Robin

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 01:53:35 AM »
Hopefully, info on distribution soon Tim.

Jud_T

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 08:54:13 AM »
Michael,

Good news.  Can't wait to see it and the perfect appetite-whetter for next summer's trip! 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Andy Gray

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 09:03:25 AM »
Jud-

The film has finished editorial and has been entered for consideration in a certain Film Festival. I'm currently refining added features for the DVD. Pretty neat piece about Don Placek and the home office in Traverse City; Cool piece on bunkers by Bruce Hepner; elongated features on holes like The Redan, Hogsback/Punchbowl, Hell Bunker and Short. Some GCAers made the cut in a segment in the film about Opening Day - Choi, Bert and Mayhugh to name a few.

Michael, I hope my brilliant tee shot made the cut... perhaps the most nervous swing of my life!

Michael Robin

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 12:53:38 PM »
Andy, it was too good of a swing to hit the digital cutting room floor, you're in! Although, it will be a constant reminder of how badly you beat all of us. :) I owe you an email, I'll send one soon. See you in December.

ed_getka

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »
I look forward to seeing the finished version Michael. I missed the preview showing, but it was still light out and OM was empty... :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

JC Urbina

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 04:55:51 PM »
Jud,

I have had the chance to see the finished editorial and was really impressed with the digital images of the golf course from the ground and from the air.  For me it captures the golf course and the way it was intended to play from opening day.  The golf course will morph and the style of golf will change but for me the images that Michael captured are forever locked into place.

Will see what the next 20 years brings to the Bandon Dunes resort and the golf courses they provide to the public.  One golfer in particular who express the thoughts of many is captured on opening day.

Michael is the consummate pro, I hope you all enjoy his tireless work, telling the story of Mike Keiser and his dream of Old Macdonald.

Richard Choi

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 08:22:14 PM »
Did Rich or I end up with a speaking role or are we just standing next to Mayhugh with our mouths gaping wide open as he waxes poetic on Macdonald and his thoughts on the golf course?

Man, I would have really preferred the latter. I make a pretty good prop...

Jim Jackson

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 08:33:47 PM »
I for one was not particularly impressed with the Pacific Dunes video.  It was certainly a nice cursory overview of the holes, and it was nice to hear Mr. Doak's "take" on positions A and B from the tee, etc.  However, it's about 20-30 mins in length (a little short for $30), and I'd have liked to hear a little more about the making of the course, design challenges, holes not selected, permutations on holes that didn't make the final cut, how Mr. Kaiser played a role in hole design and selection, etc. 

Andy Gray

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 08:45:48 PM »
Michael,

I'm glad to hear I made the cut! Just email when you get the chance, I know you're busy.

Andy

Michael Robin

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 11:19:29 PM »
Jim -

I think "A Journey to Golf's Past: Creating Old Macdonald" will be right on track for you then.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 08:33:20 PM »
Michael - Glad to hear the production is going well. Is it coming straight to DVD or is it going to be aired first - or is that still TBD?  I know at one point you were exploring a few options but I never heard how that played out.

When Michael told me that some of my comments made the cut, I asked him if it was going to be a comedy.

JC Jones

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 10:28:02 PM »
I think that knowing Mayhugh is going to be in the video is going to have a deterring effect for many of us.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 10:51:41 PM »
When Michael told me that some of my comments made the cut, I asked him if it was going to be a comedy.

John

Maybe he has it on record somewhaere that you think OM is better than your beloved NGLA ?  ;D

Seriously - I look forward to purchasing a copy of Mike's DVD on OM having heard tidbits about it during my time there last year.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 11:06:05 PM »
Maybe he has it on record somewhaere that you think OM is better than your beloved NGLA ?  ;D

I didn't say that!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 11:09:45 PM »
John

I was stirring you....

Michael Robin

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 03:26:56 AM »
Well, there is a very provocative quote from Mr. Mayhugh. I'm very happy to have it, but I think it just might cause a comment or two from some of his friends here. :)

Tim Bert

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 12:51:47 PM »
Well, there is a very provocative quote from Mr. Mayhugh. I'm very happy to have it, but I think it just might cause a comment or two from some of his friends here. :)

Think this will ultimately go down as the greatest tribute Mayhugh,  a real classic bias guy, could pay to a modern design team.

Michael Robin

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 01:50:29 PM »
Well said Tim. A perfect assessment.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back