News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

WeKoPa Cholla (Scott Miller) renovation underway....
« on: August 17, 2016, 11:23:26 AM »
Scope of project includes new greens, bunkers, irrigation, turf removal and the 8th hole
A $1.8 million renovation project on We-Ko-Pa Golf Club’s Cholla course is currently underway to refresh vital elements of the award-winning golf experience that invariably requires attention with time. Cholla will reopen on September 16.
http://www.azgolfernews.com/article.php?arid=2135

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 11:52:38 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matthew Petersen

Re: WeKoPa Cholla (Scott Miller) renovation underway....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 01:17:02 PM »
The interesting thing is the work they are doing on #8. One of the holes most used in publicity photos, it's a par 5 of 600+ from the tips and over 550 even from the white tees. A three short hole for everyone. The drive is downhill to a left-to-right fairway. the second shot is more downhill and the fairway runs out around 150 from the green. There's a flat spot you can play to further back on the left side of the fairway, around 180 out. Basically, after 2 good shots, you either have around 180 from a flattish area into a green that sits hard against a desert wash, or you have 150-160 from a downhill lie. It's a really, really tough hole. They've been pretty mum about exactly what changes are being made but I'd guess trying to flatten more of the second shot landing area and trying to expand turf options as much as they can while preserving the wash.

The new greens will be a plus, as well. The Saguaro has had much better surfaces since it opened.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 06:00:24 PM »
If I remember correctly, my group used our "senior prerogative " and played the 8th from the red tees @ 455y.  ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 06:48:52 PM »
I must be getting old because I played this course after it opened. 

Perhaps it's just another of these modern designs that does not stand the test of time.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 10:39:07 AM »
I must be getting old because I played this course after it opened. 

Perhaps it's just another of these modern designs that does not stand the test of time.

Joel,
I think Cholla stands the test of time well; this appears to be work to bring it up to the highest standards in an ultra-competitive golf market, including its own sister course.  And really, Saguaro might be the biggest problem; we played both courses the same day, Cholla first.  I loved Cholla, but then played Saguaro and was floored by how good it was, and that's not just Coore/Crenshaw buzz.

When I to go back, Saguaro is on the "must play" list, not Cholla.  It's still a superior golf course, and shows up in all kinds of Top Whatever lists, and I'd want to play it as part of a great 36 hole day.  But that's a VERY tough market for terrific golf courses.

If nothing else, converting to miniverde from Tiftdwarf will be a great upgrade, I think.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Dave Givnish

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 10:45:43 AM »
Cholla is a very good course. It does pale a bit compared to Saguaro but it's definitely worth the drive. I think that it's a better value than courses like TPC Stadium and Grayhawk Talon.

What I was told about the changes to #8 is that the landing areas for the second shot will be opened up. I guess that means there will be some leveling as that was always a fairly steep and often sidehill lie. It also sounded as there would be work around the green to make it more attractive to try to reach in two. 

It would be interesting to see how resort players would accept the greens if they left them go dormant. Clubs like Paradise Valley stopped overseeding their dwarf Bermuda greens years ago with success. I don't know of any daily fee that's tried that.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back