News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

RTJ in the Finger Lakes of NY
« on: August 30, 2010, 07:35:07 AM »
Good article by Bill Pennington in the NYT focusing on RTJ's early work in the Finger Lakes region:

http://onpar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/30/in-the-finger-lakes-enjoying-a-masters-vision/?ref=sports
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Doug Wright

Re: RTJ in the Finger Lakes of NY
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:39:35 AM »
Thanks for this Steve. I never knew that the Wells College 9 holer was RTJ but at the time I was visiting I was more focused on the architecture of the Wells girls than the architecture of the golf course.  ;) It's a nice little course in a beautiful part of the world--the Finger Lakes region itself is a hidden gem with great land for golf courses as the article mentions.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 02:28:17 PM »
Another typical mistake on the RTJ Trail in Alabama...Roger Rulewich did most of that work, correct?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 04:21:43 PM »
While Rulewich was RTJ's senior design associate for 34 years, he doesn't list any of the courses cited in the article on his website:

http://www.rulewich.com/projectList.html

No doubt he was the major designer of the RTJ Trail. He even lived there full time during this project from what I understand.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 04:37:22 PM »
Thanks for this Steve. I never knew that the Wells College 9 holer was RTJ but at the time I was visiting I was more focused on the architecture of the Wells girls than the architecture of the golf course.  ;) It's a nice little course in a beautiful part of the world--the Finger Lakes region itself is a hidden gem with great land for golf courses as the article mentions.

Doug, didn't you know then that being a golf architecture dork made you fatally attractive to the coeds?   ??? ;D

Doug Wright

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 07:16:51 PM »

Doug, didn't you know then that being a golf architecture dork made you fatally attractive to the coeds?   ??? ;D

Bill, at the time I only thought "chicks dig the long ball."  I suspect that Tom Doak, who went to school up the road from Wells at Cornell U, both knew that the Wells 9 was RTJ and used it to his advantage with the Wells coeds... ;) 
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back