News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: "Par 4s are the meat of golf"
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 11:09:25 AM »
George. To make the original posit true, the numeric value of par would have a greater relevancy than I believe it does. The meat of the course is its routing, imo.

No, the routing is the kitchen, the dining room, and the table setting. Par was just short hand for two shotter. The three shotters are potatoes with the first shot being like a driving range shot before getting to the gravy which sets up the approach. One shotters are like dessert where you get a perfect lie to execute your approach.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Pazin

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 11:18:04 AM »
No, the routing is the kitchen, the dining room, and the table setting. Par was just short hand for two shotter. The three shotters are potatoes with the first shot being like a driving range shot before getting to the gravy which sets up the approach. One shotters are like dessert where you get a perfect lie to execute your approach.

This is probably the funniest way of making a point I've read on here.

Though I am inclined to agree with Adam that the routing is the meat, but that's mixing metaphors, I think.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 11:23:23 AM »
I never said the back nine at Pac Dunes wasn't any good.

And I never said that you said that the back nine at PD wasn't any good.

I have never played Essex.

You should try to get there.
It's only 15 minutes from Mountain Ridge, as is The Knoll.

I think you are arguing for the sake of arguing. NGLA and Oakmont are loaded with fantastic par 4s.

I'd agree that they're loaded with fantastic par 4's, but, that's NOT what you said.
And, I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing.
You said the par 4's were all "stout" and I disagreed with your characterization and cited specific holes that I wouldn't define as "stout"

"Stout" was you choice of word, not mine.

Maybe "stout" is not the right word. Forgive me.

You are, indeed, forgiven, just watch your language in the future.  ;D

George Pazin

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 11:26:53 AM »
Patrick, If the 3rd at Oakmont is not stout, then perhaps your own use of the word is in question... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 11:37:03 AM »
Patrick, If the 3rd at Oakmont is not stout, then perhaps your own use of the word is in question... :)

Yeah Patrick,

Wake up and smell the coffee.

When's the last time you played Oakmont? If ever?
;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 11:42:30 AM »
For anyone who favors the par 4's, Elie is your course.  16 par 4's ranging from 256 yards to 460.  A great mix of long, short, blind, it's great stuff.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 11:53:12 AM »
Thank you Patrick for your forgiveness. I will choose my words wisely next time.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back