News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ron Farris

Second tier player: Mickelson/Woods ---Architectural Aspect
« on: September 04, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »
Are Phil and Tiger migrating toward being second tier golfers?  If so, will this have an influence on them being able to spend more time at the design table?  I say this because they are not nealy the dominating force they once were.  Or have they just hit speed bumps and this is an off year.  I know this is a pure speculative thread question - someting that I typically distain, but I have been thinking about this lately.

Tim Nugent

Re: Second tier player: Mickelson/Woods ---Architectural Aspect
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 10:43:06 AM »
What, they both have had big off-the-course issues - much bigger than golf, to contend with. Give them a break - jeez.
Coasting is a downhill process

Jim Nugent

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 10:59:07 AM »
Phil wins a major and is second-tier player?

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 11:09:21 AM »
I think the state of the economy will have a bigger impact on the time these two can spend designing golf courses.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 11:34:14 AM »
I don't think we've heard that last from Tiger or Phil as golfers.  Quite frankly, I see Phil being a force to contend with for at least another 6-7 years.  Meanwhile, Tiger will be around for at least another decade or however long it take him to break Jack's record.  That's a whole different thread altogether.

Anyway, the state of the economy right now has a bigger impact on the time they spend designing courses.  Furthermore, they both have young families and that takes a higher precedence for the both of them, especially now.  However, when they both retire from competitive golf, I'm sure there interests will turn elsewhere.  But I'm not sure if their efforts will be fully devoted towards golf course design.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

C. Squier

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 11:42:28 AM »
If Phil and Tiger are second tier, please tell me who are the first tier players.

Chris Kane

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 05:11:07 AM »
If the players ranked #1 and #2 are second-tier players, I'm sure most of the tour is striving to be a second-tier player!

Ron Farris

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 05:30:24 AM »
I will admit I had been drinking when I posted this thread, something I don't do a lot of.  It was a simple question "Are they migrating?"  I hope not, but when it does happen I hope the GC design industry has improved so we can see more greatness.

I have a friend who worked with Phil on a project and he totally enjoyed the experience.  It will be interesting to see who of these two becomes the better designer (as perceived by the masses).  Two great golfers with a lot of life left in the tank in my estimation.  But I do look forward to more of their architectual work.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back