News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

It has long been believed that Dr Mac utilized fewer bunkers than most archies of his time, at least near the end of his career.  Indeed, Augusta looks to have had 26 bunkers when originally designed.  Even with an ~50% increase, at roughly 39 today - this could hardly be considered many in most circles and perhaps the fewest of any current championship course.  What fascinates me about the original bunkering (other than the low number) is the very unusual placement.  Dr Mac seems to have followed a recipe which meant only a handful of bunkers would effect players on any given day, but that most would eventually come into play if enough rounds were recorded.  It is especially noteworthy that few if any bunkers guard the greens in the fashion Dr Mac advocated - that is bunkers which eat into greens as we see on other courses on a more sandy terrain than Augusta.  It is also interesting that a few centreline forward bunkers were provided (#s 2 & 8) for the hacker to enjoy and which would never have bothered the best players, but I suspect good club players found on occassion.  Equally, Dr Mac provided a few centreline bunkers for the more accomplished golfers (#s 3 & 18).  Incidentally, I am sure these bunkers harassed many players of lesser abililties on their second shots.  Additionally, Dr Mac was more than willing to continue his framing of holes to the rear of greens, #13 being the lone example at Augusta.  Oddly, on the original 16th (this hole is completely different today) which played straight over Rae's Creek not unlike the 12th, there were two bunkers stranded miles off to the left of the green.  There are other oddities about the bunkering which are intriguing, such as the what I am sure the visual effect is one, but I leave this post with a curious bunker scheme.  The 12th had (and still does) three bunkers, but it would have seemed to me with Rae guarding the front and a steeply wooded bank guarding the rear, that #12 wouldn't need sand. 

Anyway, I am hoping that some guys in the know will help me understand Augusta's bunker scheme.  I find it incredibly interesting, but am at a loss for properly understanding it without better knowledge of the terrain.  Here is hoping to a long conversation which will bring out lots of good photos and sketches.

Ciao     
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ben Stephens

Sean,

I have a copy of Stan Byrdy's book - Alister Mackenzie's Masterpiece Augusta National this clearly illiustrates Mackenzie's original layout and bunkering and what changes were made over the years to date.

The other design feature thats no longer at Augusta is greens with tongue shaped areas at the front.

Cheers
Ben

john_stiles

Sean,

As  Ben mentioned,  Byrdy's book is very good in discussing the evolution of the course.

An early oblique aerial, which I have frequently posted but is not in Byrdy's book,  shows many centerline bunkers.  The centerline on the 11th is not shown, but it was quickly eliminated.  It shows some of the green features Ben noted as well.  Byrdy's book has many photos and sketches.

Note the gnarly bunker, NLE,  on the 14th !

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:39:02 PM by john_stiles »

Jim Nugent

In the photo John posted, a bunker sits pretty far up the #18 fairway.  Was that in play for the tee shot?  Also, who removed it, when and why? 

jeffwarne

Sean,

As  Ben mentioned,  Byrdy's book is very good in discussing the evolution of the course.

An early oblique aerial, which I have frequently posted but is not in Byrdy's book,  shows many centerline bunkers.  The centerline on the 11th is not shown, but it was quickly eliminated.  It shows some of the green features Ben noted as well.  Byrdy's book has many photos and sketches.

Note the gnarly bunker, NLE,  on the 14th !

Based on the fact that Jones and Dr. Mac left(or planted) a bazillion trees on # 7 and other places, does that mean Hootie and fazio got it right with recent tree planting there?

Also the so called centerline bunker on #14......would there be any reason to be right of it? ever? over it? yes right of it? no
hardly strategic,simply penal
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim Nugent

Jeff, it looks to me like the trees are mostly a) bushes, or b) pretty far off the line of play.  i.e. I'm not sure even when grown they would impact  play much.  And trees usually did not get in the way at ANGC, until the last ten (?) years or so. 

Cristian

I am noticing the truly asymmetric bunkering around the greens at Augusta.

A few years ago I did a little armchair research with 10-15 highly ranked courses, by modern and classic architects, trying to identify truly asymmetric bunkering. I drew an x and y-axis along the line of play on each green (course guide drawings, I have never been to Augusta) to measure asymmetrics of bunkers; any green showing sand around the green in more than 2 quadrants was qualified as non asymmetrical. It is not scientific, nor based on  professional architectural knowledge, but it was at least a consequent and objective way of 'measuring'. Although asymmetric bunkering is advocated by many designers modern and classic one would be surprised how relatively few holes qualify; very few courses have 9 or more. Augusta 'won' this little competition by a considerable margin, I found to my surprise.

Maybe that is one of the qualities of the course; enticing players to play AWAY from a visually daunting hazard and being left with difficult longish/slopish putts/chips to save par. I like this type of challenge because it seeds doubt in the mind of the good player, and provides alternatives for the less acomplished golfer (like me).

I am sure some of you could shoot a hole in my theory, so please do. As it is a while ago I no longer have my little research results and I cannot remember all the courses I did my rude little test on. The only thing I do recall is that Cape Kidnappers came second or third. Anyone else ever perform a similar comparison or read about one?

« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 07:46:28 PM by Cristian Willaert »

Tony_Muldoon

Here is hoping to a long conversation which will bring out lots of good photos and sketches.

Ciao     

This seems to have got lost in all the piffle of last few days.

Could be an interesting thread. 
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

Tony

I just finished reading Byrdy book and was completely fascinated by the bunker scheme.  In addition to the other thoughts I had, knowing the property is quite hilly I can't help but to assume some of those bunkers were really meant to effect the look and perhaps create a bit of dissonance with the golfer.  However, I don't know the course well at all and can only surmise and rely on the drawings which I would love to post for discussion purposes, but I am sure this is a copyright infringement.  Bottom line, I have to rely on others to provide the expertise. 

Christian

I spose the asymetrical scheme of Augusta fits the minimal bunker concept of Augusta, but also hust having so few bunkers has to have an impact.  It is sort of what came first, the chicken or the egg? 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back