News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Huber

Re: Oh no....
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 10:33:17 AM »
I tend to agree with Tom Yost.  It is no fun finishing a hole then asking "where am I going next?"

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 10:48:25 AM »

As per the following song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzHpGjvRgTc&feature=related

Oh No Island Greens, shallow bunkers, carts or carts tracks, manicured fairways, long walks between Tees and Greens and No No No, No Walking Courses.

But Yes let’s have some stonewalls, railways tracks, turf dykes, but most of all more Walking and  Links courses.

Melvyn 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 11:19:02 AM »
I'm with Dan Callahan on that one.  Three of us once had a 10Am tee time at a sporty little semi-private club about 30 miles out of town.  We got there about 9:30 and checked in, and the proshop guy apologized and said they were running about 45mins late, pointing out to the first tee cart staging area where the place was backed up about 8 cart loads deep with middle to senior age ladies, all cackling and none of them even remotely were acting like they were at a golf course.  No one told us we'd be right behind the local garden club or whatever gaggle they were from, having a golf outing.

We turned around, put our bags in the car and drove 30 miles back to a local muni and got right on. 

Other oh-no signs are going to an unknown course and not even turning your car engine off, before being greeted by some H.S or college kid dressed in checkered golf knickers and faux Scottish garb.  That is a sure sign to not turn off your engine and beat ass out of the parking area. 

Also, arriving at a parade of homes golf community course, that is supposedly open to the public, and stopping at a gate house and needing nearly a passport and two pictured forms of I.D. to get in to check into the pro shop.  :-\
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 11:41:10 AM »
People with beards....
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

JR Potts

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 11:42:22 AM »
Jean Shorts

Jim Tang

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 12:02:53 PM »
Multiple forced carries and 7 sets of tees.....

Richard Choi

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 12:56:30 PM »
A house inside a dogleg... what were they THINKING???

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 01:55:09 PM »
Jeff,

A dogleg par 3? How does that work? Got a picture or overhead drawing?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

RJ_Daley

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 02:03:22 PM »
Ralph, I believe the dogleg par 3 reference was from the first US Open held at RTJsr's Hazeltine. Crusty old pro, then tour player Dave Hill famously said, 'they took a perfectly good farm and ruined it' of the design.  I don't know if Hill or maybe Trevino or some other old wag said it was the first time he saw a dogleg on a par 3, as another rip on the course design.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

George Freeman

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2010, 02:08:13 PM »
Perfectly symmetrical and rounded mounding...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Niall C

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2010, 02:08:49 PM »
A house inside a dogleg... what were they THINKING???

the Road Hole anyone ?

Niall C

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2010, 02:11:29 PM »
Jeff,

A dogleg par 3? How does that work? Got a picture or overhead drawing?

Killermont has a dog leg par 3 of just over 200 yards. It would have probably been a par 4 a hundred years ago when Old Tom laid out the course. Its also fair to say that the tree now guarding the left half of the green and causing the dogleg would have been a sapling back then.

Niall

George Freeman

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 02:53:05 PM »
Seeing four 30+ handicap golfers playing out of one bag of clubs riding in two carts and carrying a couple 30's of Milwaukee's Best teeing off in the group ahead of me on the first tee. :)

From the tips...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Powell Arms

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 04:05:51 PM »
White stakes defining someone's patio.

A forced carry with no baliout options (especially evident and frustrating when playing with my 12 year old son)
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

V. Kmetz

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 05:10:37 PM »
Great question:

1.  Environmental Area carries
2.  Tee shots in chutes of trees
3.  Gas carts
4.  Big nets of the range that borders a hole or more (killer at WF and Metropolis)
5.  Cart paths with Belgian block curbs
6.  internal OB stakes

I think I'm one of the few people that actually like a low flat cart path running through and near the play areas of a few holes.  It's sick, but I love the idea of the incorporating a skip off the path as part of a recovery or getting extra on tee shot.

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Matthew Rose

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2010, 05:13:29 PM »
I look at the scorecard, and the routing is 4-5-4-3-4-5-4-3-4. On both nines.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

James Boon

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2010, 05:22:49 PM »
Townhouses

Carl,

I'm guesing you mean general residential development around the course? When i think of townhouses, I tend to think of the surroundings to the 18th at The Old Course or North Berwick, neither of which make me say "Oh no!".

I'm with those who have said waterfall, fountain, cart path etc...

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mac Plumart

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2010, 06:57:34 PM »
I cringe when I see this off the tee box...

for reference this hole is over 500 yards and has water on the left and fairway bunkers on the right...a cross hazard cutting across the entire fairway just about where your second shot might land if you were to lay up...the green is domed/shell-backed with bunkers guarding it as well...why in the heck do you need this junk in front of the tee box?  Isn't topping your drive punishment enough on this hole?

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2010, 07:25:39 PM »
I tend to agree with Tom Yost.  It is no fun finishing a hole then asking "where am I going next?"

Agree, in general -- but that's the very question I asked my companions several times when I played TOC.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Ron Csigo

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2010, 07:56:01 PM »
A hole where you can tee off with an iron but need a fairway metal to reach the green.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back