News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Interlachen: Holes 7 and 8
« on: June 29, 2008, 03:22:20 PM »
Watching the US Women's Open this afternoon, I notice the par-4 seventh hole is set-up at something like 249 yards. The eighth is playing as the longest par-3 in US Women's Open history, at some 235 yards long.

How cool is this... a 249-yard par-4 followed by a 235-yard par-3?! Very, very interesting set-up (Mike Davis, again).

This reminds me of the fourteenth and fifteenth holes at Franklin Hills -- another Donald Ross designed course, in suburban Detroit. There, the fourteenth is a short par-4, some 240 yards long. The fifteenth measures something like 235 yards from the back tee.

Very interesting.   
jeffmingay.com

Jay Flemma

Re: Interlachen: Holes 7 and 8
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 03:26:27 PM »
Hey Jeff!

Also like Oakmont last year...a 295 yard par-3, then later a 322 yard par-4...

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
Too bad TV coverage basically started on #8.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 03:52:43 PM »
Interlachen looks very interesting overall, too.

Did Ron Prichard rework the course over recent years?
jeffmingay.com

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 06:11:42 PM »
I thought he had myself Jeff but it was actually Brian Silva and his design team. (Prichard did do the rework at the neighboring Minikahda which also improved mightly.)  Its amazing what moving a few bunkers, putting grass on the faces of them and expanded the greens to the original size di for the course. I would say a 150% improvement and enough for a 7 on the Doak scale the next time he plays it.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 06:24:33 PM »
You've jogged my memory, Patrick. I do recall Ron P. had reworked Minikahda.

Kudos to Silva. Interlachen looks great. There's a reason to visit Minneapolis, apparently. I look forward to seeing both Interlachen and Minikahda in person, someday.

These courses are quite near each other, Patrick? Curious,
jeffmingay.com

mark chalfant

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 06:35:43 PM »
Jeff

I think  Minikahda and  Interlachen are 30 minutes apart via  car.
When you visit  these  be sure to visit dellwood, about 25 miles east of  ICC.
White Bear Yacht, one the greatest and most memorable  Ross courses ive ever seen, is in Dellwood, MN

Golden Valley is also very good

Mark

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 07:12:31 PM »
Good call re White Bear Yacht Club, Mark. I've heard great things about this course, too... another Ross design in the Twin Cities. I believe Doak and co. have been consulting there over the years.

Man... sounds like Minneapolis is a "hot bed" of classic courses. I've driven through the city a few times. But, I've not had time to stop... next time.

Thanks,
jeffmingay.com

Tom Forsythe

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 08:07:36 PM »
Hey Jeff:

If you make that trip do it via Thunder Bay and visit me as well ;D
We are about a 7 hour car ride from the Minneapolis area.

Tom

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 09:14:50 PM »
Jeff

I think  Minikahda and  Interlachen are 30 minutes apart via  car.
When you visit  these  be sure to visit dellwood, about 25 miles east of  ICC.
White Bear Yacht, one the greatest and most memorable  Ross courses ive ever seen, is in Dellwood, MN

Golden Valley is also very good

Mark

Actually 'Kada is only 10-15 minutes east of the Lachen. I think it was 2-3 trolley stops back in the day.  ;)
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 09:25:35 PM »
I also loved the contrast of holes 7 and 8 at Interlachen, and perhaps enjoyed even more the 9th. 

No need to mention by name the player that took a 9 on 9 on Thursday, but her description of the green is an all-timer, IMO:

"It looks like a Pringles chip."
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 10:49:11 PM »
I also loved the contrast of holes 7 and 8 at Interlachen, and perhaps enjoyed even more the 9th. 

No need to mention by name the player that took a 9 on 9 on Thursday, but her description of the green is an all-timer, IMO:

"It looks like a Pringles chip."

Did Michelle Wie say this, Joe? Classic!
jeffmingay.com

Sandy Smith

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 11:05:57 PM »
Just got back from the Women's Open and Interlachen looked great . Was lucky to play Hazeltine and Minikahda the later was just a treat to play . It felt like you went back at least 20 years in time . When you play Hazeltine you can see why it is used for major championships , lots of room and plenty of length .... 7600 yds from the back . On most of the holes they are moving the tees and fairway bunkers back to get ready for next years PGA . 
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 11:52:51 PM »
Yes, there are some good places to play in Minnesota.

According to Google maps, it is 4.6 miles (by car) from Interlachen to Minikahda.
It is also only 4.8 miles from Interlachen to Minneapolis Golf Club (1959 PGA Championship).
And it is 6.5 miles from Minneapolis to Minikahda.

While there might be three former major championship venues located closer together in Philly or in the NYC area, this isn't bad for flyover country.

Minnesota is one of only two states that have hosted every USGA championship. According to the program I picked up at the women's open, there are actually 19 different courses in Minnesota that have hosted USGA championships. Here is the list for anyone that is interested:

Hazeltine National (70 Open, 91 Open, 83 Sr. Open, 66 Women's Open, 77 Women's Open, 94 Mid-Am, 06 Amateur, 01 men's state team)
Minikahda (1916 Open, 27 Amateur, 57 Walker Cup, 88 Women's Am, 98 Curtis Cup)
Interlachen (30 Open, 35 women's am, 86 sr. am, 93 Walker Cup, 08 women's open)
Somerset (56 sr. am, 95 sr. women's am)
Braemar (79 WAPL)
Bunker Hills (76 APL)
Edinburgh USA (92 APL)
Gross (64 APL)
Golden Valley (88 Girls Jr.)
Keller (31 APL)
Meadowbrook (47 APL)
Minneapolis (50 Am)
Northland (56 Women's Open)
Rochester (93 women's mid-am)
Rush Creek (04 APL)
Town and Country (51 women's am)
U of M (58 Jr.)
Wayzata (84 Jr.)
Woodhill (01 women's state team)

Now there are some courses on this list that I don't like and/or wouldn't pay to play, but the depth of pretty good golf in Minnesota is deep. It's a state with more top notch courses than votes in the electoral college. To me, that's pretty good.

John_Conley

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 11:55:48 PM »
In about 1991 Tony Janu flew it on the green of #16 (#7 for the Open) against me in the caddie tournament!  For those who know the hole, the ladies were teeing up 70 or so yards forward and to the right, taking all the dogleg out.  He didn't really even hook it, he just hit it straight over.

One time I rope hooked a drive with wind blowing hard left and got into a greenside bunker.  

Jeff, when the hole wasn't at 250 it is a forced layup of no more than 210 or so leaving a short wedge.  The front tee surely made it interesting.  Did you see the girl Saturday that bellied a wedge out from the downslope of the bunker and had the 'pitch of death' coming back?!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 10:45:43 AM »
Jeff Mingay,
 If you still have not made it to Interlachen you really need to. The routing is pure genius and would be a must see for a young architect such as yourself. The intimacy is as special as any Parkland course I have ever seen.

The entirety of Interlachen is just plain awesome. From the experience and atmosphere, to the architecture, is remarkable.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 06:38:09 PM »
Jeff Mingay,
 If you still have not made it to Interlachen you really need to. The routing is pure genius and would be a must see for a young architect such as yourself. The intimacy is as special as any Parkland course I have ever seen.

The entirety of Interlachen is just plain awesome. From the experience and atmosphere, to the architecture, is remarkable.

Adam-

Saw your name on the sheet on Friday and was bummed I could only caddy in the afternoon.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your round. Would love to hear more of your thoughts and some of your favorite holes.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 06:54:32 AM »
Jeff Mingay,

Thanks for describing me as "young", Adam! I'm starting to feel old some days  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Brad Swanson

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 07:50:40 AM »
Jeff Mingay,

Agreed.  I had the pleasure of a round several weeks back and was duly impressed.  Some crazy big false fronts out on some of those greens, not just 18 (9 for the 2008 Women's U.S. Open).  Definitely a course I'd never tire of as a frequent-playing member.

Brad

Adam Clayman

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 08:01:52 AM »
Patrick. I either forgot or did not know you were there in the summer. Loved your office. As for favorite holes, i'm not one who thinks too much about the individual hole, but certainly the whole in Edina(sp?) Is very very special. It was a treat to play a course with the interesting blend of horizontal and vertical movement. The par 3 13th stood out as a sort of keystone. The routing on the front 10 was elegant and the holes over the road were sequenced perfectly. 12 - 16 really had me feeling. One thought was of Beverly in Chicago but only in the look of the trees and hills.    To all you Minne folk I was a last minute replacement and wish I could've set up something so we could've met. Next time.   Jeff. I too feel old. So nowadays every body is a kid or younger. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John_Conley

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 11:52:46 AM »
Adam, you mention the routing.  Some aren't impressed by spaghetti junction where 2-3 and 7-8 intersect.  It is very confusing.  Short green-to-tees though.

There are some terrific holes.  18, 15, 12 come to mind on the back.  Great balance on the par 3s.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 10:18:14 PM »
Patrick. I either forgot or did not know you were there in the summer. Loved your office. As for favorite holes, i'm not one who thinks too much about the individual hole, but certainly the whole in Edina(sp?) Is very very special. It was a treat to play a course with the interesting blend of horizontal and vertical movement. The par 3 13th stood out as a sort of keystone. The routing on the front 10 was elegant and the holes over the road were sequenced perfectly. 12 - 16 really had me feeling. One thought was of Beverly in Chicago but only in the look of the trees and hills.    To all you Minne folk I was a last minute replacement and wish I could've set up something so we could've met. Next time.   Jeff. I too feel old. So nowadays every body is a kid or younger. 

Well unfortunately it's only my part-time, Friday afternoon and Saturday morning, can't give it up even though I got a real job now, office these days, but I'm glad you enjoyed your round. 13 is definitely my favorite out there with 1-B being #15.

Adam Clayman

Re: Interlachen: Holes 7 and 8 New
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 10:50:30 PM »
John, That's something that never came to mind. It all seemed seamless to me. After the first hole, one had to expect the crossings or at least noticed them. I thought it genius how the second came back to the center of the property opposed to so many rote routings that would've looped the exterior, having OB on several holes all on the same side. Not here. Confusing? Sure, if you all of a sudden wake up late and finally start paying attention too late.

Patrick, As I missed my par on 15 I said out loud, if I had made it, it would've been my par of the year. 16 was also extremely cool. But as I said that whole sequence was to die for.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:43:04 AM by Adam Clayman »

PThomas

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 11:45:49 PM »
just a couple from Interlachen...doesnt get much better esp on a fall day

i believe thie first pic is the 8th

198 played, only 2 to go!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back