News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lester George

Re: True reverse Redan's
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 06:42:35 PM »
Number 11 at Country Club of Charleston

Number 4 at Country Club of Florida

Lester

Ben Stephens

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 06:11:16 AM »
No. 7 at Rutland Water. I created a reverse redan where the green slopes left to right. The shape was already there for the green prior to construction. The ideal line is to hit left and the ball will bounce right toward the green

Here are some old photos

view from tee

side view to front of green

view to rear of green

Cheers
Ben

Jason Mandel

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 10:14:42 AM »
The 12th at Fishers Island is easily the best reverse Redan I've ever plaed.  The hole is one of the best in golf from the wonderful sloping fairway to green that I could have spent hours on, just a great golf hole.  The view from the green isn't bad either!

Jasib
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 09:43:36 PM »
Today, Todd Demsey, not playing in the pro-am, played Fox Chapel with a couple of other great players and made a hole-in-one on the 6th at the moment I struck my tee shot to the Biarritz at Yale--awesome timing!

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 10:38:42 PM »
Finally, some holes for lefties.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 10:54:48 PM »
7 at Ballyhack is a fantastic example.

WW

Jay Flemma

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 10:59:16 PM »
I'm not sure 7 at Ballyhack is long enough...160 middle, 190 tips seems a bit short. Plus the Redan is at number 3 and its such a showstopper, I'm not sure Lester would bring it back four holes later.

Everyone nominated the two obvious ones that jump off the page...7 at Sleepy Hollow and Forsgate.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 12:39:36 PM »
JC Jones,

While the reverse Redan at Sleepy Hollow looks like a Redan, it doesn't play like a true redan due to the precipitous drop between tee and green.

At many, if not most redans, it's very difficult to get to the back left/right hole location.
It's less so at SH because of the extreme aerial nature of the hole.

The reverse Redan at Forsgate tends to replicate the playing values of a "true" redan.

To a degree, the 8th at The Creek, like the reverse redan 7th at Sleepy Hollow is almost a purely aerial shot.

I do like redan greens on par 4's.
The reverse redan at Fisher's is excellent as is the 1st hole at The Creek.

On a par 3, the angle of attack and play to the green is dictated from a very limited area, whereas, on par 4's the angle of attack an play to the green is almost unlimited.  Thus the variety of approach shots is exponentially greater.
I like that quality and I like that it places a greater premium on the tee shot.
Unfortunately, # 1 at The Creek is pretty much land locked at the tee, hence the approach is limited to a short iron, depriving the golfer of the full array of shots that would come with added distance..

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 03:32:40 PM »
Would the 11th hole at Los Angeles CC (North) qualify for discussion here?

Bill, the green would appear to be tilted in the wrong direction.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back