News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Daley

Re: Emerging architects who deserve our encouragem
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2002, 05:50:48 AM »
An excellent thread, although I bet Jeff Brauer (ex President of ASGCA) got a huge kick out of being classified as "emerging."  May we all emerge to this degree.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2002, 06:59:24 AM »
    This has been a very enjoyable thread to read.
     I don't think that anyone has mentioned Bill Bergin yet.  Bill was a tour player for a few years in the mid-80's, then apprenticed with Bob Cupp.  He has now done a number of renovations, as well as several new projects, and has three or four courses under construction at this point.  Most are in Alabama and Tennessee, but some of the new stuff is in Indiana as well.
     I was fortunate enough to play at Bill's first full design, the Auburn University Club in Ala. twice, the second time with Bill.  I think the course is just excellent in every way.  Its been open now for about three years, and the course is a lot of fun to play.  About 7300 from the tips, with a 6700 set of tees that are still an excellent test of golf.  If any of you have had the chance to play there, or any of Bill's other projects, I'd love to hear what you think.  I think that his work at Auburn is very much in keeping with traditional design; multiple ways to play most holes, good risk/reward shot values, no funky mounding, etc..  The course will be hosting several tournaments in upcoming months (a PGA section event, and a major women's collegiate event) and I hope that exposure will be good for his work.
     It has to be tough for a talented individual to break in to this business with the money involved and the pressure on developers to hire a "name."  Not to rehash old news, but after seeing what $8.5 million got my alma mater, UNC, from TF, "names" don't carry the weight with me that they once did!
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Herb_Flood

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2002, 01:21:04 PM »
Ken Morgan, formerly of Jerry Pate Design will be a rising star in this business. He was Jerry's top architect and the "brains" behind so many of his projects. He marries design and agrinomics quite well in his projects. I do take exception, especially in today's era, that so many people on this site interchange the terms designer and architect. Remember guys and gals, the latter has formal training and licensure. They are the ones who "stamp" a set of plans...not the "designer."

Bye

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2002, 02:09:48 PM »
Herb, Herb, Herb...

Don't go there!!

Anyone who has ever written an article on golf design is an architect!!!

willhammer (Guest)

« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2002, 06:09:01 PM »
Anyone who posts here and claims to be a fan of and practicioner of "Golden Age", minimalist golf architecture.

Jason Topp

Re: Emerging architects who deserve our encouragement?
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2010, 02:28:12 PM »
It is interesting to read this thread with 8 years experience behind us.  Many of the architects listed here have done well.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2010, 04:37:51 PM »
I think a new and up-and-coming architect  ;D who needs our support is Tiger Woods.

If all 1,500 of us pitch in $100 each we could probably pay for one of the bunkers in North Carolina...

Sean Leary

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2010, 06:24:08 PM »
Someone compared John Foughts Reserve to Riviera and Winged Foot.

Made my day.:)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back