News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

Re: Landfill Golf Courses
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 10:20:56 AM »
Granite Links just south of Boston....but they had the Big Dig fill to fill up the old quarries, as well as do some shaping on top of the landfills.  I believe there are several "eternal" clear methane flame chimneys on site.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 11:42:53 AM »
Avenel was a beautiful piece of property across the street from Congressional and was definitely not a landfill.  It was zoned residential but they had designated part of the property for a water treatment facility and Deane Beaman came up with the idea of building a golf course where part of the course would be a buffer between the treatment facility and the housing.  They then came up with some new zoning laws to allow for more density in the housing.  It is a great piece of property but not a great golf course.

Park Ridge is a course outside of West Palm Beach which is built on a landfill.  The area around it is totally flat but the course sits on top of the landfill and there are holes along the side and below giving some elevation change which is unique to the area.  Conditioning is the big issue with the course.

Joe Perches

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 07:22:11 PM »
Mountain Gate here in West Los Angeles too

http://www.eifg.org/portal/portal/item_download.aspx?item_id=201

What I liked from that article:

Mountain Gate maintenance personnel report settlement has exceeded 70 feet in some areas, necessitating the repair of irrigation and drainage systems and the re-grading of golf course features. Although a nuisance, some club members appreciate the continuous changes of golf course features as an added challenge to their game.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 07:30:26 PM by Joe Perches »

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 07:44:02 PM »
Where is this course located in Mainz? I used to live in Wiesbaden-Biebrich while stationed at Wiesbaden Airbase from 1987-1990. I spent a lot of time in Mainz!!!! I miss it dearly!

It's a new course opened a few years ago in Mainz-Budenheim. I know someone, who grew up there and said he can still remember the stench from the landfill back then :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back