News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

schoeller

Homestead v. Greenbrier
« on: March 08, 2002, 08:07:34 AM »
While my wife appreciates it, I am tired of those rankings and reviews of resorts that give the same emphasis to spas, salons, skeet shooting, etc. as they do to golf.

What are people's thoughts on the great rivalry of the Homestead versus the Greenbrier in terms of golf alone.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

APBernstein

Re: Homestead v. Greenbrier
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2002, 02:38:24 PM »
The thing about these rankings is that one can not, under any circumstances, ignore the other amentities at The Greenbrier.  They are so incredible that to exclude them would be a great disservice.

But as Charlie Dusic explains, The Greenbrier can compete on a golf level as well.  The Greenbrier course has, unfortunately, been Nicklausized, which includes green contours that seem very abrupt and sharp.  Much like you might find at Valhalla (in places) and Pinehurst National.  They simply just don't fit.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »

Paul Richards

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2002, 02:47:48 PM »
Mark:

Actually, although the Greenbrier is the 5-star, and the
Homestead is the 4-star hotel, my wife and I both preferred
the Homestead.

As far as the golf is concerned, the Cascades is head-and-
shoulders above all the other golf.  Old White is a lot of
fun and the best course at the Greenbrier by far.  The
Greenbrier course was one of the more disappointing courses
I have played.  As Andrew said, it was totally Nicklausized.

The Old Course at the Cascades was just OK.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2002, 04:06:14 PM »
I am in general agreement here, with a few exceptions.

Raynor did not have anything to do with Old White, but it is a great old course, with one of the greatest openers.

Cupp redesigned Dick Wilson's Meadows course and while there are two holes that do not fit it is a decent third course.  

Greenbrier is a better hotel with better second and third courses, and it is simply a special place to go.  

Homestead boasts a wonderful main course, but I see no reason to play the other two.  The hotel post-reno is wonderful again.  The advantage of the Homestead is that it is a little more relaxed.

Why not split time between both of them, such a great area of the world to only have to choose.  That said, if I was forced to choose, the Greenbrier is one of the best resorts in America.

APBernstein

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2002, 06:14:35 PM »
You made one slight mistake, Ben.  The Greenbrier is THE best resort in the country/world/universe/West Virginia.   ;D

shank

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2002, 05:46:03 AM »
If what I read here in golfclubatlas that Tradition, simplicity and the understated elegance of a bygone era are three of the top five point scorers then The Greenbrier blows most out of the water.

I agree that the Upper Cascades course at the Homestead is a wonderful and special course but you learn something new each time you play Old White.  A subtle feature here or there a different strategy.

Yes the Greenbrier course screams Nicklaus but it also screams Ryder Cup, that alone in my book gets points.  

And for the Meadows course, a nice course with a solid 9-holes, keeping in mind resorts need to cover the spectrum of their guests and this one does.

Anyhow enough said the Greenbrier gets my vote.

Paul Richards

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2002, 07:07:12 AM »
shank:

When I played the Greenbrier, I had a caddie who knew
the course that used to be there pretty well - the one
where Snead broke 60 for the first (unofficial) time on the
Tour.

Why was that course ever changed?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

scott_wood

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2002, 10:01:51 AM »
this brings to mind a GREAT memory (maybe we should have a thread " the most memorable bet
 i've ever won")

when i was in college at Washington & Lee, we would take a 'road trip" to the Homestead 2 or 3 times a year. It was/is approximately 40 miles through some of the most glorious mountain scenery (this was pre I-64) you can imagine, especially in the springtime.

anyway, one wonderful day, i bet a substance not to be described against me driving my frat brothers "67 jag e-type convertible back to college. How sweet it was!!!l And THANK YOU for the memory, Howard Perkins, wherever you are ! Perhaps he will be at the 30th reunion in May, after which we're playing the Cascades for two days.

shank

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2002, 12:45:38 PM »
Paul,
 Sorry for the delay, out to a tournament the last few days.

I play the Sam Snead Fest there each summer and to my understanding, the actual course was modified for the Ryder Cup.  As with most, added yardage and flashed bunkers.

Rick

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2002, 02:16:25 PM »
I was fortunate to visit both properties in 1988.

I can't disagree with most of the sentiments expressed earlier.

I, too, felt that the Cascades course was the golfing highlight although the Old White was an endearing course as well (too bad we played it in a constant rain). I didn't mind the Greenbrier course as much as others here but the 3rd course (Lakeside then), wasn't overly special, although probably a good track for beginners or the higher handicap player. I did play the Lower Cascades course also and remember it as okay with very quick greens.

We stayed at Greenbrier and must concur that the amenities are special,  especially the cuisine! Too bad that it's so stiflingly formal! Really, a jacket and tie to see a movie or have a beer!

While we were at the Cascades, we stayed at the Cascades Lodge, a baby sister to the Homestead itself. Although we just wandered around the Homestead, my general impression was that the Greenbrier would have been the superior facility.

Take Ben's advice... visit both for three days and draw your own conclusions.

JayC

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2002, 06:05:13 PM »
Check out Sam Snead's Tavern near the Homestead if you get the chance.
After I got over the incredible amount of Ryder Cup memorabilia on display (how many did he play in?), I came across a huge rack of old balls.  A long string on the top row, all holes-in-one with the driver, then the 2nd row, all with a 2-wood, then the 3-wood, then the 4....all the way through the bag!  What a player! 8)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back