News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Golf on tv
« on: July 08, 2010, 07:38:33 PM »
For what it is worth...

Loch Lomond is on the Golf Channel right now. 7:30 pm EST.

The women are playing Oakmont this weekend.

And next weekend is St. Andrews.

Pretty neat to see.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

David_Tepper

Re: Golf on tv
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 07:43:21 PM »
Don't forget the British Senior Open will be at Carnoustie (and on TV in the U.S.) the week after next.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 08:05:42 PM »
Thanks for the heads up David.

As for Loch Lomond, it is stunningly beautiful.  Looks like parkland golf in the middle of Scotland.  Anyone played it?  How does it play?  Strengths, weaknesses.  It looks amazing.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 08:29:23 PM »
Two things are fascinating me about this Scottish Open coverage.

#1--Phil was interviewed yesterday and he said that the key to winning this years Open at St. Andrews would be driving distance...to blow past all the trouble; and putting...as in the past he hadn't adjusted to the thicker blades of grass and therefore slower putting surfaces.  So, at Loch Lomond a parkland course which appears to much tighter than St. Andrews he is gripping and ripping driver every single time it even remotely makes sense.  He is getting into trouble right and left, but I've got to believe he is soley focused on being ready for next week and practicing the key ingredient of blowing past the trouble.  And he is knocking the hell out of all of his putts.  Missing long and strong if he is missing.  Interesting to me to see first hand how he is playing the Scottish Open...but not really...if that makes sense.

#2--The other fascinating thing to me about this Scottish Open is that fact that I am having a converstation with myself...but yet over the internet.  Fascinating!!   :)

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 08:34:22 PM »
Now that the conversation is really going, I'll jump in with this question:

Should the Scottish Open return to a links course?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 08:58:09 PM »
Mark...you are so right.  The Scottish Open has to be on a links course, right?  Honestly, I feel like I am watching a standard PGA Tour event (one a stunningly beautiful coure mind you).  In the words of Jerry Seinfeld, not that there is anything wrong with that...but the Scottish Open...it has to be links...IMO.

Brian Freeman

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 09:18:07 PM »
Absolutely the Scottish Open has to be on a links course, and it needs to rotate every year.  It's not like there is a lack of options available.

Loch Lomond is great on its own merit but it needs its own week and event not the week before the Open.  Maybe the week after?  (Sorry Canada)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 03:14:31 AM »
We've had this discussion quite a few times... Obviously, most to all of us would ideally like to see The Scottish Open back on a links course, especially the week before The Open...

But the charm of the event being held at Loch Lomond each year is quite high... The pro's love the course (and it is stunningly beautiful), the turnout is excellent, the familiarity and branding through using the same venue is high... I'd hate to see Loch Lomond disappear from holding a high-profile tour event...

Now that The Irish Open has a proper slot in the calendar, I'm hoping that they will see sense and get it back to a links course... This year is Killarney...

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 05:50:24 AM »
Everything about Loch Lomond is truly world-class. It's gorgeous. The best thing about it? It's location. The worst thing about it? It's location!
It does deserve a Tour stop, but The Scottish Open should be played on a Links. It's not as if we're short of possible venues...
BTW, it's LASHING it down again this morning all over Scotland, but especially at LL and St Andrews!!!
cheers,
FBD.

PS Watching the LL coverage, I'm struck how FEW US golfers are playing. I think most of them are scattered around the country practising ON LINKS. Daly and Mickelson are there. Not sure what that says....except Big John already knows how to play Links golf.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 05:53:20 AM by Marty Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 08:00:46 AM »

Every telecast is better with the UK accents.

Anthony

Carl Johnson

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 08:08:06 AM »
Everything about Loch Lomond is truly world-class. It's gorgeous. The best thing about it? It's location. The worst thing about it? It's location!
It does deserve a Tour stop, but . . . .

Last I heard about Loch Lomond, which was probably a couple of years ago, was that it's financial situation was very shaky.  If that was true then, have the finances improved?  I've also heard from a Scot that the course is not playable in the winter because it is "under water."  He was not talking about the finances, but I didn't ask for more details, such as, is it really under water, at least parts of it, or is it just too wet to play, and do they actually close it during the winter.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 08:09:54 AM »
Thanks for the heads up David.

As for Loch Lomond, it is stunningly beautiful.  Looks like parkland golf in the middle of Scotland.  Anyone played it?  How does it play?  Strengths, weaknesses.  It looks amazing.

As I always say to my friends over the other side of the Pond, why travel all the way to the UK to play an American style golf course?

Loch Lomond is a nice course. Personally I don't consider it a top course, and having seen some of the lesser known courses in the US I don't think Loch Lomond belongs in the Top 100 lists.

The setting is spectacular, but the weather is normally pretty poor and there are midges everywhere - the course is pretty much always soggy, bog like.

I would love to see The Scottish Open at a links course. No way I would play in this event with The Open next week - I'd be playing links courses.

Maybe they could hold the PGA at Loch Lomond rather than Wentworth? It's undoubtedly superior than that.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 08:39:02 AM »
Looks like Mickelson is missing the cut.
Probably his best idea this week. He can head over here to Fife this afternoon and get a few practice holes in - it's still not dark til around 10pm.

Re LL: Yes, it can get very wet. Not sure if it closes in winter. Members don't get to play it that much anyway. Remember though, even KINGSBARNS closes in winter!!!

FBD.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 10:12:07 AM »
Seems like the Scottish want their courses like the ones in America and American's want their courses like the ones in Scotland.

A case of the grass being greener (or browner)  on the other side?

Niall C

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 03:32:03 PM »
Mike

Bear in mind LL was built about 15 years ago before the fast and firm philosophy really took root. Also it was designed by Americans (Weisjopf and Morrish) and it is located beside the biggest puddle in Scotland so what does that tell you. Basically the course can't help being lush.

I played it not long after it opened when it had gone bust first time round. I played it in a group of 50 odd golfers of 12 or 13 fourballs. Can't remember the format exactly but each fourball played as a team. The fourball I was in won the outing and we lost 25 golf balls between us. If you were off the fairway you were lost.

Marty

Sounds like Michelson was merely fulfilling a contractual obligation. I heard he had a 9 at the 18th to miss the cut which sounds like the closest thing to taking a dive as you get in golf.

Ally/Brian/Mac

Just about all the top links courses in Scotland host R&A events like the Open or the Amateur Championship. I think you would find that subtle pressure would be applied so that those courses didn't host the Scottish Open, reason being it would cheapen the unique appeal of the Open, especially being played the week before.

Niall

Terry Thornton

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 01:55:06 AM »

Marty

Sounds like Michelson was merely fulfilling a contractual obligation. I heard he had a 9 at the 18th to miss the cut which sounds like the closest thing to taking a dive as you get in golf.

Niall

Niall,

Phil played the back 9 first so it was a pretty early 'dive',............ which by the way is a terrible aspersion to direct to a left hander

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 08:04:44 PM »
Back to our regular sheduled programming...

Loch Lomond was on Sky thurs and fri but has been moved to BBC for the weekend. At least it's live, but I can't understand why they'd mess it about so badly. Still raining, too!

BTW, what a great weekend for the UK sport fan. Loch Lomond, Silverstone and the World Cup final all in one day. Heaven! (Although, there may be a slight increase in the UK divorce figures this year.)

All that AND T in the Park!

FBD.

David_Tepper

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 09:09:26 PM »
I remember reading several years ago that the area surrounding the Loch Lomond golf course was one of the wettest micro-climates in Scotland.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 05:24:22 PM »
Paula Creamer...congrats...she played amazingly well!

This might be too early as she is right now on the 17th green, but I've got to go eat dinner.  I think she will close the deal.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 05:27:01 PM by Mac Plumart »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
 The 'OPEN' is a Links Tournament, therefore all Opens should be played on links courses. Just list the names of all the GB&I Links courses to see the quality they offer the golfer.

Mac

What will win this year's Open will be the quality of the putting, not the distance shots IMHO - Great to be home again for The Open

Melvyn

Mac Plumart

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 10:25:54 PM »
This week is going to be amazing!!!

Right now, highlights from The Open at TOC Duval vs. Tiger.  Duval in the Road Hole bunker as I speak.  Damn, I can't wait to get my lazy butt to St. Andrews!!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back