News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank M

Domaine Laforest?? New
« on: July 08, 2010, 08:26:53 PM »
How much do we know about this place? It's the private golf course in Charlevoix, Quebec designed by Tom McBroom and he claims it to be some of his best work. The best I could do is get a snapshot from Google Maps.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 07:14:53 PM by Frank M »

Ronald Montesano

Re: Domaine Laforest??
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 08:33:33 PM »
I thought it was a dancer...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Chris Buie

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 11:45:48 PM »
Frank, this is from a pretty good article that talks about the course: 

Completed in 2002, Domaine's 18 holes are meticulously groomed and routed to take advantage of the thickly forested property's dramatic elevation changes and mountain views. It's an exotic, divotless, open-fairwayed Shangri-La, where no one has to book a time. "I'm very proud of that course," says McBroom, whose designs have won awards both in Canada and the U.S. "It's some of my best work, and it was a wonderful commission. The only downside? Hardly anyone will play it."

He's not exaggerating. Domaine Laforest was conceived and paid for by a single client, Paul Desmarais Sr. of Power Corp., and it was built on the lavish 202-square-kilometre estate that suffices as the Power king's cottage. Desmarais, 79, his wife, Jacqueline, and their sons Paul Jr. and André all like to play, and they've attracted many notable guests, from PGA Tour pros to heads of state. Even with good weather and the odd charitable event thrown in, it has been estimated Domaine Laforest hosts fewer than 500 rounds a season. That works out to about $2,000 a round, based on the annual average cost--$1 million--to maintain a top-notch course (not including the millions to construct the course and chalet-style clubhouse).

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/after_hours/lifestyle_activities/article.jsp?content=20060522_77767_77767

Frank M

Re: Domaine Laforest?? New
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 12:11:02 AM »
Frank, this is from a pretty good article that talks about the course: 

Completed in 2002, Domaine's 18 holes are meticulously groomed and routed to take advantage of the thickly forested property's dramatic elevation changes and mountain views. It's an exotic, divotless, open-fairwayed Shangri-La, where no one has to book a time. "I'm very proud of that course," says McBroom, whose designs have won awards both in Canada and the U.S. "It's some of my best work, and it was a wonderful commission. The only downside? Hardly anyone will play it."

He's not exaggerating. Domaine Laforest was conceived and paid for by a single client, Paul Desmarais Sr. of Power Corp., and it was built on the lavish 202-square-kilometre estate that suffices as the Power king's cottage. Desmarais, 79, his wife, Jacqueline, and their sons Paul Jr. and André all like to play, and they've attracted many notable guests, from PGA Tour pros to heads of state. Even with good weather and the odd charitable event thrown in, it has been estimated Domaine Laforest hosts fewer than 500 rounds a season. That works out to about $2,000 a round, based on the annual average cost--$1 million--to maintain a top-notch course (not including the millions to construct the course and chalet-style clubhouse).

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/after_hours/lifestyle_activities/article.jsp?content=20060522_77767_77767

Thanks for this
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 07:15:21 PM by Frank M »

Chris Buie

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 12:19:35 AM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back