News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Mr R D Pryde - early GCA
« on: August 21, 2010, 10:27:03 AM »
I came across a brief newspaper reference to a R D Pryde, an American GCA "consulting" on a James Braid design in Scotland. Its unclear whether this was a paid consultation however if it was I would guess that it might be the first instance of an American architect working in Scotland.

Does anyone know anything about him ?

Niall

Edit; reference was to 1922 design

Mike Cirba

Re: Mr R D Pryde - early GCA
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 10:48:51 AM »
Niall,

I don't have my files in front of me by Robert Pryde was involved in the creation of a number of early courses in the CT and  New England region, and I know he was also involved with some PA courses, including the Penn State University course.

I'll see what i can dig up later.

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 11:13:46 AM »
The reference is mistaken in as much as R D Pryde was originally from Scotland and began his career in golf as an apprentice in the shop of the Scotscraig Golf Club in the town of Tayport. In 1892 at the age of 22 he immigrated to America. He laid out and constructed the New Haven Golf Club in in 1895. Pryde was instrumental in organizing and watching over Yale`s golf program and led them to fifteen of their twenty one national intercollegiate golf championships, a record that still stands. He was also an accomplished club maker, greens keeper and architect. Pryde was active in USGA committee work as well as the secretary of the Connecticut State Golf Association. He designed Race Brook Country Club, Wethersfield Country Club and Alling Memorial  among others in Connecticut. By most accounts R D Pryde was most responsible for all things golf in Connecticut from the mid 1890`s through the mid 1920`s.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:19:34 PM by Tim Martin »

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 09:52:57 AM »
Mike/Tim,

Many thanks for your posts. The article only makes a brief mention of Pryde and does call him an American. Generally they refer to ex-pats as Scots or American-Scots but I suppose the writer didn't know his background. The course in question is East Renfrewshire GC, locally referred to as East Ren, on the outskirts of Glasgow. A good moorland course that still presents a challenge today.

What I found interesting is that Pryde was consulted seperately while the course was still under construction.

Niall

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:30:25 AM »
I think Pryde might have done the original layout at Wyantenuck, which was later redone by Banks.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 03:42:43 PM »
To tag on to what Mike has mentioned about PSU's Golf Course:

Pryde laid out the first 9 holes that were later modified and expanded to 18 in 1922 by Willie Park, Jr. I have some PSU Newspaper articles placing the date of the original 9 at 1918.

I believe Pryde may have been involved with the early golf history at Yale and may have laid out a course prior to the current Yale course. I'm sitting at the Tampa Airport now and don't have the above references articles readily available. 

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 05:11:22 PM »
Joe,
Pryde also built a course for the Hotchkiss school, around 1911, but it was replaced by the Seth Raynor that exists today.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back