News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Men's NCAA Division I Championship - The Honors Course
« on: May 17, 2010, 01:40:56 PM »
June 1-6.  $15 daily or $45 for the week.  I plan on attending Saturday.  Anyone else?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Chris_Clouser

Re: Men's NCAA Division I Championship - The Honors Course
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 01:42:19 PM »
Also, the Division II championships are at Sagamore Golf Club in Noblesville, IN this week.  They are free!  I will be attending on Friday for the final round if anyone wants to meet up.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:42:59 PM »
Interesting that D-1 charges these days...way to make the game accessible...they should be ashamed.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Brian Laurent

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 01:44:24 PM »
Rare GCA contributor Will Haskett will be there calling the action for the NCAA's online broadcast.  Maybe he'll see this and chime in...
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Tim Nugent

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 03:13:10 PM »
Interesting that D-1 charges these days...way to make the game accessible...they should be ashamed.

Ron, I'll be attending the Illinois HS Track & Field State Meet at Eastern Illinois Univ. You can bet I'll have to pay to get in and EIU is owned by the State.  The D-II spectators are just lucky a golf course is giving back more than a tax-payer funded State University.  Now, who should be ashamed?
Coasting is a downhill process

Ron Csigo

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 04:03:04 PM »
Yale is also hosting their regional NCAA Division I Championship this week.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 05:22:09 PM »
I hope they will have a fitting tribute for Mr Lupton.  I always liked the boardroom photo in the clubhouse.

JLahrman

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 08:56:01 PM »

Too bad.  I was an undergrad at Ohio State when Tiger played there in the 1995 NCAA.  There were maybe 50-100 people following him.  This was after his first US Am win, so the golf world was aware of him although he didn't yet have the mass popularity in the general population.  Followed him for nine holes, chatted with Earl a bit.  Can't remember paying to get in.  Tiger had mass talent but also hit some loose ones too, he hit a wild duck hook on #2.  Of course he came back on #4 with a big drive and some iron that flew in the air forever before coming down eight feet away, from where his eagle putt hung on the lip.  I saw those two shots and thought he might have a future in the game.

john_stiles

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 11:52:58 PM »
My memory is that we drove down and walked in.

Watched Tiger for a while.  Watched Chip Spratlin (95 NCAA champion).

Think we followed one of Jack Nicklaus' sons, although I might be confusing NCAA with US AM as to Jack Nicklaus & son.

Most  NCAA championships charge admission.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 08:58:41 AM »

Too bad.  I was an undergrad at Ohio State when Tiger played there in the 1995 NCAA.  There were maybe 50-100 people following him.  This was after his first US Am win, so the golf world was aware of him although he didn't yet have the mass popularity in the general population.  Followed him for nine holes, chatted with Earl a bit.  Can't remember paying to get in.  Tiger had mass talent but also hit some loose ones too, he hit a wild duck hook on #2.  Of course he came back on #4 with a big drive and some iron that flew in the air forever before coming down eight feet away, from where his eagle putt hung on the lip.  I saw those two shots and thought he might have a future in the game.

If that was the final round with the weather delay, I was a 15 year old kid following that group as well.   :)  Tiger was the longest player I'd ever seen in my life at that point.  He swung out of his shoes and routinely drove it 50 yards past his playing partners.  If anything, technology has closed the gap between Tiger and everyone else distance wise.   With his King Cobra driver and his titleist professional 90, he was flying it right around 300 yards.

I believe it was $20 for both myself and my dad to enter the grounds.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 09:30:39 AM »
Hey, I just wanted to know if I might make a new acquaintance or two, not debate whether $15/day is a ridiculous ticket price. Btw, what do you big city Northern Americans pay to see a movie?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JLahrman

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
Hey, I just wanted to know if I might make a new acquaintance or two, not debate whether $15/day is a ridiculous ticket price. Btw, what do you big city Northern Americans pay to see a movie?

Bogey

Yes, sorry for taking things OT.  I pay $18 a month for Netflix, wife and I probably get through 9 a month.  So $1 per person per movie.

RBlair

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 08:10:57 AM »
Back on the subject I was working at the Honors that summer when Tiger won the NCAA.  I was student at UT then working over the summer.  It was a beautiful day out, not a cloud in the sky as we all were spending the day watching golf.  The Grounds staff had to be there at dark to mow greens in the morning ahead of play, then we followed behind play again mowing late in the afternoon. During the day we watched golf and had to be prepared for bad weather.  One day as I was sitting in the break room out of nowhere the emergency weather system went off.  Still not sure why it went off but everyone went into panic mode as everyone had vans and shuttles to move players off the course.  It just so happen that Tiger was walking to the 14th tee when the system went off.  He just walked down thru the woods to the shop and came in the break room.  He asked where the coke machine was, got a water, then sat down.  My buddy and I asked him to sign a golf ball and he gave us this mean look and asked us if we knew he was playing in a golf tournament, my first Tiger moment.  Never got that autograph from Tiger, but do have a photo of Arnold Palmer and autograph that I got later in the year out on the course.  He was very personable. If you get a chance go to the event, it is a great course to walk and watch some golf.  Amazing the length they have added from the last NCAA event.

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 05:13:09 PM »
 The Division 1 Championship at Yale is free as was clearly indicated on all the banners in and around the clubhouse,practice green and scorers table("free and open to the public"). This must be a discretionary decision by the host site. The course is in as good condition as I have seen in 25 years. Super Scott Ramsay told me that the NCAA asked for an approximate speed of 11 on the greens. I followed the Kent State Team in practice for 3 holes(16-18) and they absolutely loved it.The players said that these were the biggest greens they had ever seen. Anyone that has the chance to go down and check out the course should do it, especially if you have not been there since the tree clearing program was undertaken. The top tee boxes on 4 and 18 are really special. I will be there on Saturday with my 14 year old son if anyone is around. Send me a PM if you want to hook up.

Keith Buntrock

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 05:16:29 PM »
Also, the Division II championships are at Sagamore Golf Club in Noblesville, IN this week.  They are free!  I will be attending on Friday for the final round if anyone wants to meet up.

I would have met up with you had my team qualified.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 06:54:47 AM »
What the Players Think of The Course at Yale

George Bryan, sophomore player
University of South Carolina
“It’s tricky but fun. It challenges all aspects of your game. Whoever wins here is going to be playing the best. You are not getting through here by being lucky. It’s all about your skills when playing this course.”

John Fields, Head Coach
University of Texas
“It’s a thrill for our guys to come and play a piece of golf history. C.B. Macdonald did an outstanding job almost 90 years ago. It really has stood the test of time. We feel very fortunate to be able to come and compete on this course.”

Patrick Rada, senior player
“It is beautiful, and it’s obvious Yale has put a lot of work into it. The condition is second to none. It has a lot of character and elevation change. It’s a fun course to play. Every hole seems different than the other 17.”

Clint Tolleson, sophomore player
“It is very interesting and a lot of fun. The nature element sets it apart. We saw deer and turkey, and it felt like an old fashioned golf course. The greens gave it lot of character, each of them very different but equally hard.”

Chris Rockwell, senior player
Vanderbilt University
“It’s an awesome course. It’s like opening up a time capsule. It reminds me of Crestwick and the Old Course at St. Andrew. Our team took a trip there last summer. We all thought the Yale course reminded us of the courses over there. Having played over there will help us here this week.”

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 01:42:15 PM »

Bogey......I just sent you an IM.

Anthony

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 09:19:31 PM »
Congrats to Scott Langley...making the Illini nation proud today.

SL_Solow

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 09:25:04 PM »
Scott is not only a wwonderful player he is a nice young man and a serious student.  Nice parents as well.  Exactly the type of person one would want to have success.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back