News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

The Travis at Garden City - roll call
« on: May 12, 2010, 06:25:12 PM »
I know we'll see Pat Mucci and Michael Wharton-Palmer, but will there be any other GCAers there?  See everyone bright and early Friday morning!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

JSlonis

Re: The Travis at Garden City - roll call
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 08:32:32 PM »
Jay,

Unfortunately, I won't see you there this year.  I missing my first one since being invited 7 or 8 years ago.

Have fun!

John Blain

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 08:42:58 PM »
Is the Travis a week earlier than usual this year?  I always thought it followed the Havemeyer which followed the Richardson which was this past week, no?

-John

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 09:12:59 PM »
Nope...it's always held to coincide, as much as possible, with the anniversary of the founding of the club on 5/16.

Jamie, catch you next year, I hope:)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 09:21:49 PM »
Jay,

I think the date was moved up a week due to horrendous weather conditions the tournament experienced over a previous decade.

One would think that the tournament would have been moved back a week, but, that didn't happen.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 09:25:11 PM »
Pat told me it's always on the anniversary...why would moving it UP make the weather better?  it seems moving it LATER would be warmer?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 10:30:43 PM »
Jay,

I think, when the anniversary falls in the middle of the week, that the weekend selected can vary.

A wednesday date would seem to give them a dual choice, where Monday and Tuesday would go to the  previous weekend, with Thursday and Friday going to the next weekend.

It was good to finally meet you today on the 17th tee.

You're much younger than I had expected, but, then again, I was probably much older than you expected, but, I did rip that drive on # 17.

Unfortunately, I got stuck on the Throgs Neck Bridge for two hours this morning and made it to GCGC at
1:00 for a 1:04 tee off.  In retrospect, it would have been better if I had been stuck for three hours.
I can't believe how stupid I was not to have taken the Whitestone Bridge.  That way I could have had lunch, hit balls and putted before teeing off.  It was a glorious day and my playing partner and I had a great day together.  It was on the 17th tee that he told me about the absurd comments on # 11 at Seminole.  Maybe the angst over those comments inspired me to swing harder at that tee ball.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to spend more time with you tomorrow.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 07:14:20 AM »
Is there a place I can look for results and tee times?

John Blain

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 09:01:05 AM »
Is there a place I can look for results and tee times?

Keith-

The only results I could find were at www.mgagolf.org. Click on tournament results and then click on 2010 results Met area. You will find the Championship flight bracket.  Looks like 67 was low and 72 made the championship flight. No other information was listed.

Also, if you subscribe to amateurgolf.com on Monday they will likely have results of all the brackets.

Hope this helps,

John

JSlonis

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 05:26:14 PM »
The qualifying scores were quite low this year.  I heard from a couple friends who are playing and they said the weather was great for a change and the rough was considerably lower than usual this year.  The club put in a new irrigation system recently and I was told that the rough wasn't irrigated like it was in past years.  Sounds like it was just a timing issue getting the new system going.  The rough is normally pretty brutal.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 06:13:51 PM »
Yesterday was a good day for golf with light winds, today sunny, dry with heavy wind...RHE

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 11:44:19 PM »
JSlonis,

The rough has been fairly benign this year, and as Robert said, it was a very calm day.

When the wind blows, the course changes its personality.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back