News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Medaling Green Committees?
« on: October 27, 2011, 03:50:06 AM »
On another thread there is the Scooby Doo meddling deal going on.  Are there any examples of good stuff done by medaling green committees?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Medaling Green Committees?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 04:28:05 AM »
Absolutely...

Although most of the good stuff I'm thinking about is relatively small.... Once you have a good driving force on a greens committee with a good eye for golf, you have to remember that he's known and loved his course for a lot longer than any blow-in architect... Quite often he's in one of the best positions to see small stuff that can be improved... Has to be the right guy though...

I'd be interested to hear of any big rerouting / redesign changes driven in-house that have been big improvements...

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 05:13:56 AM »
The work of green committees in my region has generally been poor when they have done it themselves. Perhaps it could be said that just my opinion and I am biased but the ones I have re-routed, built new greens etc dont seem to get as bad press. A couple of courses have really messed it up in most minds. Mendip golf club bought some new land added some new holes deleted others they did it themselves and made a good job, they had a very experienced head greenkeeper, but some of the others have been a bit embarrassing, sadly it gets expensive to do it all again. One of the problems I found working with committees is that they cherry pick ideas rather than using the whole and it does not always fit that way. One club I worked with were adament on not having an 11th coming back to clubhouse, presently it was the 10th, IMO they messed up a great opportunity and ended up with a lesser course and its a view shared by many, but at the end of the day the club make those calls and there were plenty that felt that a loop of 10 and 8 counted for a lot.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Leo Barber

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 05:30:15 AM »
Any good work by a "greens committee" as such has normally not truely been committee created but committee endorsed.  I know that is mincing words but it is really the responsibility and efforts of a good and knowledgable individual hopefully the Superintendent who reports directly to them, to drive change if and where needed utilisng the advice of any resources at his/her deposal, architects included.  Whats the old saying about a camel being the result of a committees attempt to design a horse or words to that effect........

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 05:57:19 AM »
Simon Creagh Chapman, the long-time greens chairman at Walton Heath, is probably the key figure in the transformation of that course over the last ten years or so. He really gets it.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 06:37:06 AM »
Adam - I think long-term is a key aspect of a successfull GC. When its two years on then off it can be disaster.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

James Boon

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 07:54:58 AM »
I think Leo has already touched on this, but...

I'm still fairly new at my club, but I was very impressed when a couple of the first members I met were members of the greens committee and both were quick to tell me of their good work.

This good work turned out to be the realisation that though they had their own ideas, the best thing they could do would be to appoint the right professionals! Therefore the club has a consulting architect, consulting greenkeeper and has regular visits from the STRI, all who work closely with the head greenkeeper.

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 08:28:49 AM »
Ours are a disaster.  Bad enough planting trees last year.  This year they've allowed the construction of a revetted bunker on a heathland course.  Heathens.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 08:41:04 AM »
Plenty of revet at Walton Heath! There was lots at Sunningdale until the recent Hawtree-led renovations, too.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

BCrosby

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 09:37:49 AM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:48:15 AM by BCrosby »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 09:53:57 AM »
Simon Creagh Chapman, the long-time greens chairman at Walton Heath, is probably the key figure in the transformation of that course over the last ten years or so. He really gets it.

Played the Old there a month ago.  It was really in fantastic condition.   Greens seemed right at 10, fairways bouncy, heather under control.    Of course it looked like nothing had been done but all was well.    That really is a magnificent piece of land and it's cool that the two courses are almost intertwined. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back