News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Feature Interview with Jim Urbina is now posted
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 01:25:03 PM »

As far as  I know they still do not play # 2 from across the road.  We added a bunker on the players right about 290 off the tee.  This bunker addition was in the original 1931 photo and really captures the essence of Mackeenzie and Hunters second shot bunkers.  They are now in play for some on the drive. 

Having played there many times over the years... and relatively often during all of this restoration work... and not all that long ago... I can attest to a few things:

1.  The course is fantastic as it is these days, better than it ever has been; and
2.  There is a back tee on the #1 side of the road for #1.. it's just below 9 tee.  It's usually marked "closed" but I have zero doubt it must have been used for the college boys in the recent Western Intercollegiate, if not for other purposes.  I played once from there myself and it makes for one hell of a long golf hole... I had 220 in after a decent drive.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 09:31:25 AM »

As far as  I know they still do not play # 2 from across the road.  We added a bunker on the players right about 290 off the tee.  This bunker addition was in the original 1931 photo and really captures the essence of Mackeenzie and Hunters second shot bunkers.  They are now in play for some on the drive. 

Having played there many times over the years... and relatively often during all of this restoration work... and not all that long ago... I can attest to a few things:

1.  The course is fantastic as it is these days, better than it ever has been; and
2.  There is a back tee on the #1 side of the road for #1.. it's just below 9 tee.  It's usually marked "closed" but I have zero doubt it must have been used for the college boys in the recent Western Intercollegiate, if not for other purposes.  I played once from there myself and it makes for one hell of a long golf hole... I had 220 in after a decent drive.

TH

TOm I think you meant to say there is a tee on back side of #1 for #2.  And yes while it does play long, its all downhill so its a piece of cake right?   ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 03:01:54 PM »
Yes, typo, talking about 2nd hole.  And it plays damn long from that tee, downhill or not.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 10:44:42 AM »

TH

That tee must have been for the original length of the 2nd hole, as it was originally a par 5.  Like the Valley Club, Pasatiempo started with two par 5s "back in the day!"

I'm sure problems with the entry road caused the hole to be shortened at some point.  I started playing there in the late '50s and it was a long par 4 then, 28-30 years after the course opened.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 11:18:47 AM »
Jim -

Hiding the lines is a cool concept.

I wonder if you could do it with a mower? Take a wide gang mower and have the right side cut at a half inch. Progressively move the height up to 2 1/2 on the left.

You would need some low mow grass but the area close to the fairway should have enough irrigation.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back