News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Alfred Tull Thread
« on: July 12, 2011, 03:48:25 PM »
KLynch and I played the Yellow at Bethpage yesterday (an Alfred Tull original design) and will play the Blue tomorrow (a redesign of Tilly's original course.) I've combed the forum and found allusions to Tull's work and influence. What can those in the know contribute on the topic of Alfred Tull?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jerry Kluger

Re: Alfred Tull Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »
I understand he worked for Emmet.  He designed a number of courses in the DC area including Norbeck, Westwood and Woodmont.

Lester George

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 06:05:19 PM »
He did the DuPont Course that I renovated a few years back.  I used his original routing plan as inspiration but could not recover much because of the changes made to the course in the 60's by in-house DuPont engineering.  Cool routing though and a very walkable course. 

Lester

Brian Finn

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 10:23:56 PM »
The page linked below has a nice (albeit brief) biography as well as a list of the courses Tull designed, re-designed, or built. 

http://www.rockleigh.org/Recreation/Golf/Tull_abc.htm

According to this source, Tull and his brother did the construction on several courses designed by Travis, Tillinghast, and Emmet, ultimately partnering with Emmet. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 07:11:59 AM »
I saw that page, Brian. Thank you. I think it was #1 in the Google search. From the biopic, Tull seems to have been hip-deep in construction of some wonderful courses. It makes you wonder how much of each of these three giants rubbed off from him onto them and vice-versa. Back when the Concord was open, although the Monster course had the media reputation, it was the International that was preferred by guests, for reasons now apparent to me.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 09:04:14 AM »
Tull had some interesting design concepts - at Norbeck we have two holes where large trees are in the fairways and I went to play Westwood and they also had two holes with large trees in the fairway.  Needless to say some people don't like it but I think it works well and friends from GCA who have played the course also liked how they played into the strategy of the holes.  The holes have wide playing corridors which I think is absolutely necessary to make it work. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back