News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Willie_Dow

Re: "A Season in Dornoch" Rubenstein - Global Warming
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2010, 10:04:17 PM »
Back to Dornoch !

In its long term of existance, has there been any indication that the coastline has increased its water level over the years ?

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2010, 12:14:54 AM »
I question the 90% chance assumption. No we should not bury our heads. Nor should we require mandatory federal inspections of homes and cars for energy effiiciency. Nor should we have utility companies control thermostats in the homes of private citizens.
The only point I would make is that the science is not there yet. Not enough to base life changing public policy on. We are not short of government or private funds for continued research. With the right methods and transparency, we can come to the right understanding and then consider our options. This will certainly tak place before Dornoch goes under.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2010, 03:10:45 AM »
Jeff,

90% chance of a 5 degree rise? OK, maybe they're off, still, do you suggest we simply bury our heads in the aforementioned sand?

Jud, are the claiming the odds are 90% that temps will rise 5 degrees? 

Jud_T

« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2010, 06:19:39 AM »
That's what the model says by 2100.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Niall C

« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2010, 02:39:38 PM »
Jud

I suggest you get a new model or wait until science catches up. So far the climate change lobby have hoovered up a heap of cash trying to prove there theory. In order for it to be a self-sustaining business the theory has to fit.

Willie

As far as I know sea level changes aren't a serious concern in this part of the world and I also think I'm right in saying that Scotland is still rising as a result of the ice disappearing at the end of the last ice age. Whether that more than compensates for rising sea levels I can't say.

Whats of more concern for links like Dornoch is the natural coastal erosion which has been an ongoing battle for centuries for links courses.

Niall

Willie_Dow

« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2010, 04:54:20 PM »
Thanks for your comments.  I am concerned that there might be restrictions on developing our links courses where there is a seaside environment, and further setbacks are demanded without knowing the potential from the global warming considerations.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2010, 06:22:23 PM »
Jud, did they have the results of Icelandic volcanos spewing ash clouds and reflecting sunlight, or will the ash cover the snow and cause faster melting?  The problem with climate models extending out 90 years is we don't know what we don't know. (But give me enough grant money and I'll study it for a long time ;D)
Coasting is a downhill process

John Kirk

« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2010, 06:50:05 PM »
Wow.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2010, 10:55:44 PM »
So my little golf course on Buzzards Bay, which I have played on for 75 years, is now condemed for expansion because of Global Warming. 

Willie_Dow

Re: "A Season in Dornoch" Rubenstein - Global Warming New
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2010, 11:18:47 PM »

[/quote]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 02:58:42 PM by Willie_Dow »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back