News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Hissey

Cow Neck
« on: April 04, 2010, 01:35:29 AM »
When recently reading George Bahto's excellent book, I noticed that there was an unbuilt routing for Cow Neck put together by Raynor. I often look at that piece of land and wonder what I golf course would look like out there.

Does anyone have any more information regarding this proposed golf clourse?

Mike Sweeney

Re: Cow Neck
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 06:48:42 AM »
Mark

You probably already know this but Swede at NorthSea Towing and Radiator on North Sea Road had a bunch of archives from National in his garage as he had a father or grandfather who worked at National. You might try there.

Dave Greene

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 02:57:41 PM »
Mark:

I have a copy of what David Goddard wrote back around the year 2000 for the 75th anniversary of the Southampton Golf Club. This is part of what he wrote:
"In the early 1920's - the golden age of golf course construction - J.D. Corrigan and eighty others originally bought property for a golf course on Cow Neck in North Sea just east of Scallop Pond. This fell through when they encountered legal problems concerning the use of the land for a golf course close to a site that had been proposed as a wild-life sancuary (why this should be an objection defeats the mind)."

Most of Cow Neck is actually west of Scallop Pond but I was always told Cow Neck was to be the site for the original Southampton Golf Club. That would have been unbelievable for sure. Some think it was a bit shady that Sabin and Mr. Rogers arranged to have the farmland given to the "locals" for their club so the "big boys" could have the prime property on Cow Neck. Rather than deal with a law suit and court costs it was just easier to accept the farmland and build a course there which is the present location of the Southampton Golf Club.

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 03:53:43 PM »
What is the land at this 'cows neck' currently being used for.

George_Bahto

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
Cow Neck is the property off on your right as you stand on 17 tee, NGLA.

It was supposed to be the site of the Southampton CC, site donated by CB's friend Charles Sabin but in the end they could not get a right of way cleared from the owner of the land in between.

Sabin the put up one half the money for the Southampton CC where it is now located and the "club" personel put up the rest.

Raynor donated his fee ....... actually, I would think Charlie donated Raynor time and design fee     :P

the club was originally to be a muni for al those who could not get into National, Shinney and Maidstone

BTW: there is another area on Long Island further to the west caled Cow Neck (shape of the properties) - I think it is on the peninsula above the Sands Point mens club
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Dave Greene

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 10:01:13 PM »
Thomas

As far as I know the property which is about 400 acres I believe is being used as a game preserve and some farming. It has been this way for decades under a couple of different owners.

Dave Greene

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back