News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hamilton

Providence Golf Club - Richmond VA - Lester George
« on: March 26, 2010, 05:22:34 PM »
Providence is a local affordable daily fee about 10 minutes from my house.  Until this weekend I had only played the front 9 a couple times, riding with my two sons, so didn’t get a chance to appreciate the layout.  It gets so little word even locally that honestly I had been little wary golfing here.  But after getting in the full 18 on foot this weekend my appreciation has increased a lot and think that for the siting this is a good golf course with a couple very good holes, and a remarkable routing.

The history as I know it is pretty interesting.  There was a short 18 hole course here prior to something like 1985 known as Pocoshock.  Apparently 18 holes measuring something like 5000 yards.  The course closed in the mid 80’s.  I had some friends who shared a house near the old course when I first moved here in the early 90s right out of college.  I used to drive past the property in the early 90’s and wondered why there was an open land that looked like an overgrown golf course sitting well within developed suburbia Richmond.   Apparently in the late 90’s a developer came in and decided to rebuild the course which opened as Providence Golf Club sometime in the last 8 or 9 years.

From comparing the old and new course routings on scorecards posted in the very moderate clubhouse, it appears that Lester built 11 fairly open holes on the old Pocoshock property (Holes 1 and 2 + the back 9) and routed most of the front 9 over newer property through a parkland / wetland setting.  The impressive thing about this course is the great use Lester made with limited land.  He fit 6500 yards of very good golf onto a tight property of pretty nondescript land. 

My initial reaction from playing the front 9 is that 1 and 2 may be the two weakest holes on the course.  But this is followed by a good 3-7 stretch. The 4th is very nice drivable Par 4 for longer hitters and the 6th is fun short par 3. 

I did not snap any pics but included the layout from Google.

In my opinion, the real beauty of the layout is in the back 9. 

In the picture the holes look a little claustrophobic but you never feel crowded by adjacent holes.  Lester winds the routing with generally easy carries across drainage/wetland areas or up and down the gentle hills and uses the terrain and some existing older trees to give you a good sense of individual holes while still providing nice vistas and a feeling of openness.  You can see from the Google Earth shot I have included blue shading to indicate the drainage.  The elevation drops from the top of the picture to the bottom and the 16th green / 17th tee is about the highest point of the property.

The 10th drive crosses the drainage and is another nice short drivable par 4 if you are long and can turn it around the bend at the green.  The 11th and 17th are solid 3’s and the remaining holes are all fun solid golf. 

The highest posted rate is about $50 on weekend mornings, but otherwise is $35-$40.  Juniors can walk anytime except before noon on Sunday for $13.  Unlikely Providence will show up on any Top 100 lists, but its great to see that this type of development can still happen.

Bill Gayne

Re: Providence Golf Club - Richmond VA - Lester George
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 10:31:46 PM »
Providence is a local affordable daily fee about 10 minutes from my house.  Until this weekend I had only played the front 9 a couple times, riding with my two sons, so didn’t get a chance to appreciate the layout.  It gets so little word even locally that honestly I had been little wary golfing here. 

That's true. I've lived in Richmond the last three years and don't know the location of the course and can't recall anyone telling me that they played the course.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 02:26:12 PM »
Sort of an oddity this morning in that I found one of their logo balls in the rough.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:22:40 PM by Bill Gayne »

Lester George

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 07:07:10 PM »

Mike,

Thanks for the write-up, I almost agree with everyting you said.  Too much for to tell the story of Providence, but I closed in 1984 and was hired to redisign it in 2003.  19 years! It is about five minutes from, my office and one of my favorite public courses.  Only 122 acres.  Very intriguing excercise to get it rezoned, routed through the wetlands, built and open.  I play there as often as I play Kinloch or Ballyhack because it IS FUN. 

I often tell my guys, "if you ever want a study in simple, elegant and uncomplicated, look at Providence.  It may be one of my best".  Most importantly, it makes money for the owner and is in a very healthy financial state.  Not bad for a 2.5 million dollar golf course.

Call me anytime to discuss.

Lester

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 10:11:42 PM »
Lester,

I appreciate the offer.  After I get a chance to play a few more times I may take you up! 

I must say it is a fun place to play.  Definitely also now really interested in seeing Ballyhack when I get a chance.

I was about to speculate on the financials in my original post...I would guess that the owner is probably pretty close to his initial business plan.  Pretty remarkable given the times.

First, its a great and very walking course.  My two partners were an advanced beginner and his buddy, neither of whom had probably walked while playing in at least 10 years.  I convinced them both to walk and we all had a great afternoon 

Second I'm even more amazed at how much golf course you managed to cram in the 122 acres...I figured 140-150.

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

1) Did you cut down many trees?
2) Did you consider cutting the tall pines (?) on 7 or the big oak (?) on 12.  Both are in play.  Especially on 12 where I think you are almost forced to lay up in order to play around.  Not terribly crazy about how much that tree affects the hole honestly, but it would have also been tough to remove.
3) What was your thought process on Number 8.  I assume that the townhome property was fixed leaving you with the narrow strip to work with working toward Providence road.  I personally feel that it covers some of the most marginal property but like how you made the most of it.  My second ended up in the back of the left greenside bunker so didn't get to test...but I imagine a long second which lands anywhere past the front of the green is likely to get thrown over and down the hill.
4) Finally, any thoughts on the fairways.  I found them to be in surprisingly good condition given its March and we've had a tough winter.  I walked Independence a day earlier and Providence is playing much better.

Anyone visiting here should give this consideration.  Certainly there are more dramatic courses in the area (like RNK or Mattaponi), but this is a great model of how to build an affordable local course but still be fun and interesting!

Lester George

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 11:45:51 AM »

Mike,

I'll try to answer your questions briefly.  If you want to discuss later we can,  I don't type well enough, nor do I have time to go into a  great deal of detail.

1) Holes 3 - 9 were all cleared as they were part of the "new" property added to the old course.  All other holes were routed through the "old" course property and mant of the speciment trees form the old course were preserved, some were not.

2) The trees on 7 and 12 (and all other holes for that matter) were left intentionally.  I know they are in play, that is the point.  I don't know what kind of player you are but most players (assuming they are on the correct tee) don't worry too much about the oak on 12.  Long players hit over it.  Short players hit right at it and usually go under.  Because it's a three shot hole (for most), and laden with risk/reward the hole would be emasculated without that tree. 

3) Number 8 had all of the constraints you mentioned and more.  Most importantly, the pond was already there and could not be altered.  I put the 1st landing area at (or below) the same elevation of the dam so it would leave the illusion that the green waS MUCH CLOSER THAN IT IS.  wORKED PERFECTLY AND IS MANY PEOPLES FAVORITE PAR 5 IN THE AREA.

4) Fairways were sodded and therefore have always been exceptional.  The superintendent there is also very good.

Lester

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back