News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Questions Re Chambers Bay
« on: March 19, 2010, 09:42:39 AM »
Couple of questions about Chambers Bay.  What will the conditions be like in early April?  Also, how busy does it get on Friday afternoons?  [I need to be in Seattle for business and might get stuck in town but with some time to sneak out.]
Thx,
Carl

Will MacEwen

Re: Questions Re Chambers Bay
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:04:04 AM »
As for conditions, Rich Choi and I played it two weeks ago and it was great.  Having heard some concerns about the grow-in, I was pleasantly surprised.  The course is nice and firm, no slop to be found as you might expect in most of the PNW (like my yard, and my course).

No clue as to how jammed it would be on a Friday.  We went off at 1:10 on a Thursday and I think we were the next to last group.

It is certainly worth the effort.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 10:14:36 AM by Will MacEwen »

Richard Choi

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:07:22 PM »
Carl, the conditions are excellent as Will has already mentioned. We had a pretty dry and mild winter which has really helped with conditioning. The new #4 green area is fully grown and I expect that they will open that green for play some time this summer (still temporary green till then). The greens were running about 6 to 7, bumpy due to coarser fescue nature, but they rolled true.

The best thing about the current condition (for me, at least) is that the rough area is still cut low so the course pretty much play as it was intended. I suspect by this summer, the rough will be quite long and it will be a completely different course. I think right now is really the time to play the course to get the true feeling of the course.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:38:45 PM »
Gents,

How is the bump and run game playing?  Is there more run-out to be found in the ground game compared to years past?

Do you ever fear a long iron will hit in the center of the green and bound over???
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 01:17:32 PM »

Play with Garland and the shrimp cocktail comes in an upside down pint glass that is awesome. The Calamari has thin slices of lemon that I had never seen before. You'll love your time there. The best combo of par 4s you'll find antwhere.

Tony Top Shot

Richard Choi

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 02:01:17 PM »
Michael, in the spring, bump-and-run is not required as green is soft enough to hold most long iron shots due to rain. However, in mid-summer when it is rock hard and running around 10, it will be impossible to hold with long irons. I am really hoping that it will be that case for the US Am.

And Carl, the Friday afternoon is really going to depend on the weather. If the weather is good, if you do not have an advanced reservations, it will be tough for you to get on. I would reserve your spot right now and cancel before the penalty (48 hours) if the your plans may not work.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 07:30:41 PM »
Couple of questions about Chambers Bay.  What will the conditions be like in early April?  Also, how busy does it get on Friday afternoons?  [I need to be in Seattle for business and might get stuck in town but with some time to sneak out.]
Thx,
Carl

Carl,

To agree with the rest, the course truly is in great shape.  The greens are rolling really well, and the ground game is definitely an option, even this early in the year.  Compared to last March it is like night and day.  You will have a great game.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 07:38:08 PM »

Delete.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back