News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Got some good thoughts on architecture from Kyle Phillips
« on: March 16, 2010, 06:19:44 PM »
So I was supposed to review a golf course I've never seen in a country I've never visited.  Of course, I didn't review the course, but I got some interesting points on architecture from Kyle and we'll be sitting down for a longer interview in the near future.

Remember:  the audience for this is NOT hardcore architecture junkies, but the average golf fan who wants to learn a little more about the topic and about travel as well.

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=2704

I like his minimalism vs. naturalism distinction.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Phil_the_Author

Re: Got some good thoughts on architecture from Kyle Phillips
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 01:28:24 PM »
Bump... For Jay! Give it a read!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 03:45:52 PM »
Thanks, Phillip :D

Here's a few interesting points Kyle raised:

“What have we done to golf in America?” he asks pointedly, referring to aerial, target-style courses in shoe-horned into real estate developments. “Playing golf in tight corridors around houses takes angles and options away from the game,” he says. “We have taken golf design, made it like McDonalds: we’ve packaged it and sold it around the world at ridiculous prices. Now the world is choking on Big Macs. Instead, I like to have my courses look natural, I’m not going to take one style of course and drop it into another location...."

Phillips feels that subtle and well-planned enhancements to the less interesting portions of the property should not be dismissed out-of-hand. There’s nothing wrong with moving a little earth – a little mind you – to make a flat, unvaried parcel of land more interesting. Phillips describes the concept as “naturalism.”

“Naturalism uses existing natural landforms, but also – where the landforms might be devoid of character – allows for a natural looking shaping to be created, and then the holes to be overlaid this new, but natural looking and feeling landscape,” he explains. “The end result still looks and plays like what naturally was there, but we were able to make it more interesting – and most importantly strategic – than what was previously there.”
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 10:17:33 AM »
bump...what does everyone think of Kyle's thoughts on minimalism vs. naturalism?

Ron Farris

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 10:33:37 AM »
Minimalism and Naturalism, are relative terms.  I remember Tom Doak saying (possibly writing) something to the effect that minimalism is 'doing the least to produce the best'.  If that means moving 4 million yards of earth to get it to look natural instead of 5 million, then that could be regarded as being minimalistic.  Making a golf course look natural is basically what everyone tries to do when designing or building courses.  I have never played a K. Philips course.  Minimalism is when the developer tells you to build a golf course for less than $3 million on heavy soils.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 11:23:45 AM »
bump...what does everyone think of Kyle's thoughts on minimalism vs. naturalism?
He has done great work, and I like what you wrote about his thoughts on naturalism and minimalism.  Both are American words that are popular to work into conversations about golf courses, regardless of how much dirt was moved or brought in to make them look "natural".  Kingsbarns fits it's location well, but is it natural?  it's not minimalist.  IMHO the finished product is the important thing, regardless of how it came about, if it looks great, it might become a great course in a few years....   

I can't imagine the Ryder Cup being played in Sicily this century.  But the 2010 and 2014 events may change the thinking.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 03:58:26 PM »
Those in the UK and Europe, does it make sense that Sicily might be part of the European jet set?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back