News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Phinney

Re:help re Alex Findlay
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 06:57:09 AM »
Was Findlay part of the Scottish golfing diaspora?  Does anyone know where he originally came from?  The very first Royal Melbourne course (in East Malvern) was laid out by Messrs Finlay & Conacher in 1891.  I realise the spelling difference, but a possible connection!

Greg Ramsay
www.barnbougledunes.com

Know doubt answered in the last seven years (!) but Findlay came from Montrose, as did brothers Fred and Alf.  Alex emigrated to America, while Fred, after being a pro at the Royal Albert in Montrose, emigrated to Australia in 1910 to join his brother Alf who was the first pro I believe at the Victoria golf Club (and conceivably involved at Royal Melbourne, though I don't have dates for Alf).  Fred became the pro at the Metropolitan, staying for some 12 years before moving the US to join brother Alex as a golf architect.  All were proteges no doubt of the legendary Montrose golf professional Bob Dow.  All were fine players, and Fred may have accomplished more on that front if it wasn't for some kind of hand injury. But he set course records both at Montrose and the Metropolitan.

Jeff Taylor

Re: help re Alex Findlay
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 09:42:25 AM »
I played golf with his grandson @ Lake Presidential last year. He is dedicated to spreading the word about his grandfather and has started a website. See the attached link.
Regards,
JT

http://www.alexanderfindlay.com/

TEPaul

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »
Although I cannot absolutely prove it there is strong evidence that Alex Findlay was responsible for the 12-hole Tarrantine golf course on Isleborough, Maine. I think it is made more interesting as it is very little changed over the years. It would make sense it's Findlay as the community was an incorporated venture of friends from Philadelphia, New York and Boston (and one of two from St. Louis) that was done probably around the turn of the century. The building architecture on the island is a virtual "classroom/museum" of a number of prominent building architects and their various styles from that early era. Those people tended to tap the most prominent building architects from their various cities for this kind of summer community and since the formation of the community was essentially inspired by a few Philadelphians it probably makes sense they would just bring the architect from their area who was doing good visible work there at that time.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:28:35 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 01:30:03 PM »
Cornish & Whitten's first edition in 1981 list Tarrantine as a Findlay design.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 01:55:47 PM »
Alex Findlay built the first golf course in Oklahoma, a 9 holer called Guthrie Golf and Country Club.

TEPaul

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 02:00:48 PM »
"Cornish & Whitten's first edition in 1981 list Tarrantine as a Findlay design."

Is that all the research you've done on Tarrantine? It seems like all you do is depend on C&W. You should try broadening your research horizons some.  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back