News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Liddy

Golf’s secret boom in Hainan, China
« on: March 04, 2010, 01:01:09 PM »
What the Chinese government wants, the Chinese government gets.

Golf’s secret boom in Hainan, China in Financial Times  FT.com

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/22639c8a-ef65-11de-86c4-00144feab49a.html

Ronald Montesano

Re: Golf’s secret boom in Hainan, China
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 01:25:43 PM »
I've seen this movie before...it scared the piss out of me...the worst of humanity, come to pass.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »
Tim,
I posted that article a while ago. It was glossed over and it's easy to see why.

There are only a select few people in the country who will ever step foot on any of these courses, at least not with a club in their hand, and even if they had one in their hands it's more than likely that they'd be handing it to a tourist for his next shot.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 01:49:43 PM »
Jim:

Have you spent any time in China?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 01:54:48 PM »
Tom,
No, although I do have a couple of friends who do business in China on a regular basis.

Tim Liddy

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 02:30:23 PM »
Thanks Jim. Sorry I missed it.

Rob Miller

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 05:48:44 PM »
In my humble opinion, golf is losing its stigma in China.  If you can drive a Mercedes, carry a Louis Vitton bag, own 4 or 5 properties then playing an occasional round of golf isn't comparatively much of an issue.  Average cost is still around USD$150 so it's prohibitive but certainly not out impossible for upper-middle class in major cities.

The problem is that there's not the interest in golf as a sport compared to other sports in China.  One Chinese born superstar could change that and there are a some solid, solid young players there. Development is driven, as the article correctly states, for the housing complexes that surround it.  They will be bought for speculation and 80% will sit empty. 

The pace of change in China is so quick that every 5 years you need to rewrite everything you know.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 05:51:47 PM »
There are only a select few people in the country who will ever step foot on any of these courses, at least not with a club in their hand, and even if they had one in their hands it's more than likely that they'd be handing it to a tourist for his next shot.

What is wrong with employment as a caddy and does it matter what type of person to whom he or she is handing the club?

Atta boy Kelly!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 05:53:31 PM »
Thanks for the link, Tim, sorry I missed it earlier, Jim.

That story manages to roll all the beauty and ugliness of both capitalism and communism all up into one nice little ball.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 06:10:06 PM »
Kelly,
Not at all. Matter of fact I was just reading an interview w/a young female caddie who enjoys the job and makes more than if she was working in her village. It did cost her 3,000 yuan to take the training program and the club charges 400 yuan per round for her services but only pays her 500 yuan a month, tips not included.
By the way, 500 yuan is about 73 bucks American, and this girl puts in 12 to 14 hours a day, every month, for that money. You spill 1/2 your Starbucks latte and you just wasted her day's pay, all while the club charges 50 or so for her and a hundred or two for the round.

Garland,
This is a discussion, I have an opinion, Kelly has his, and we both have put them forth.  You're acting like a teenager, grow up, or at least go buy some pom-poms and a tutu if all you can manage to be is a cheeerleader.   

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 06:22:53 PM »
Garland,
This is a discussion, I have an opinion, Kelly has his, and we both have put them forth.  You're acting like a teenager, grow up, or at least go buy some pom-poms and a tutu if all you can manage to be is a cheeerleader.   

Jim,

See the bite me thread!

I didn't know it was verboten to second an opinion. At least that's what you said what Kelly wrote is.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 06:27:56 PM »
Sure Garland, whatever you say.  :P 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back