News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Admussen

Wolf Creek - Old Course
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:11:58 PM »
Spent the day out at Wolf Creek today playing all 36, always been one of my favorite places to play. If you're in Alberta playing Banff/Jasper, it's definitely worth the drive to play.

This was Rod Whitman's first solo design, it's relatively short at just over 6600 yards.

385 yard par 4 dogleg right, best choice of the tee is a fairway wood, to leave yourself 140-150 in.

391 yard par 4, not much room of the tee, but once you get it out there the fairway widens quite a bit. 200+ yards to reach the fairway

199 yard par 3, best place to miss here is just short of the green, right, left and long are not fun.

385 yard par 4, trouble every where on this hole, very tight drive with water/out of bounds left right and long. Ruined many rounds when they used to hold the Alberta Open here.

402 yard par 4, sharp dogleg right, requires a long carry to the fairway, can cut a lot of the hole off if you can carry the bunker to the right.

534 yard par 5, runs parallel with Alberta's busiest highway, a large waste bunker runs up the left side of the first half of the fairway.

130 yard par 3, short hole with a small, deep, nasty, evil bunker guarding the left side of the green.

345 yard par 4, relatively short straight forward par 4, no pictures unfortuantely

443 yard par 4, requires a long drive to have any chance of making it on two, on the second shot you need to carry a valley with a creek at the bottom of it.

More to come tomorrow.

Jed Peters

Re: Wolf Creek - Old Course
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:53:48 PM »
May give this one a try should Glencoe and CGC not work out....

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:21:09 PM »
My Camera had some issues on the second 18 so I didn't get any pictures of 1-8

Matt Bosela

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 10:30:42 PM »
Ryan,

Looks interesting - do you prefer Wolf Creek or Whitman's design at Blackhawk?

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:32:51 PM »
 8) Do I rememeber the sign saying "Where Scotland meets Canada"

p.s.fwiw.. i preferred the variety of holes presented at blackhawk, but really enjoyed Wolf Creek..
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:35:46 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 10:34:59 PM »
Ryan:

Rod showed me like 100 pictures of this course when I roomed with him back in 1985.  (Your pictures are better.)

Is my memory faulty or isn't there a green which juts out into a pond surrounded by railroad ties on three sides?  It seemed incongruous after the other photos Rod was showing.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 10:49:27 PM »
Matt.. Haven't played Blackhawk unfortunately, hoping to change that this summer/fall though.

Steve.. Yes that would be there slogan, what did you think of the course?

Tom.. That would be #4 on the Old course, didn't get a picture of it though. Was it just the railroad ties that didn't fit in with the rest of the greens or something else?
http://www.wolfcreekgolf.com/Course.cfm

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 08:38:41 AM »
It was the setting of the green sticking out into a pond that bothered me.  Are there even any other artificial ponds on the golf course?

Jason McNamara

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 06:32:32 PM »
This is the one just south of Edmonton, right?  How far from Calgary?

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 06:45:52 PM »
Tom.. there are no other ponds on the course, only creeks.

Jason.. 1 hour south of Edmonton, 1:45/2 hours north of Calgary

Steve Lang

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 08:38:06 PM »
 8)

The 10th  at BH was fun

The 11th was favorite down to the lake, run it on from far left

the ground game was very much alive at BH, i seem to remember it better than WC, which reminded me of some michigan courses

we did banff then jasper then BlackHawk then Wolf Creek a very, very nice loop of golf
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:43:35 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back