News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cristian

Bali Golf: Nirwana, Handara or Bali GCC??
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:54:24 PM »
Perhaps some of the Aussie GCA-ers can help me out here (or anybody else who has been there):

This summer I will visit Bali Indonesia. I will have the chance to play 3-4 rounds of Golf during a two week period. I have read and heard different things on above courses which apparently are the top 3 courses on the island. I will be staying in different locations so travel to and from the courses is really no issue.

I have read (mostly good things) about Nirwana and Handara, but I know very little on Bali GCC. Anybody played there?

Could anyone in the know compare these courses for me? Are they similar? How would you divide 4 rounds among them?

Thanks
Cristian
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:48:38 PM by Cristian Willaert »

Brandon Johnson

Re: Bali Golf: Nirwana, Handara or Bali GCC??
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 02:48:51 PM »
While I’m no Aussie I did visit Bali in 2005. You will have an incredible time. The island is beautiful. The people are very nice and the food is good and interesting. Ubud is a cool little town with lots of energy. Spend some quality time there. Also, make sure you do a rice patty walk while on the island as the natural environment is gorgeous. (We did a cool one in Ubud but I’m sure there are others.)

OK on to the golf. I only played one round during my trip and it was at The Bali Golf and Country Club. We stayed in Nusa Dua so it was close to our hotel and I had a good connection there. I think Robin Nelson designed it.  The service was great. The pro even came out to chat during the round. It was a tale of two nines for me. I started on the back nine. It was built in the bottom land so all the features had to be created. While it was in decedent shape (the greens had a lot of grain) the back nine lacked interest visual and strategic. It was typical resort golf. Nothing wrong with it. Hey, your playing golf right!?

The front nine was much better as it utilized the natural topo to provide interest and drama. I remember variety in the topo and shots required. (uphill, downhill and side hill tee shots and approaches) On a few holes they mimicked the rice patty terraces found all over the island and did a fairly good job doing so. Sometimes moves like that will strike me as odd but not in this case. I also remember a few greens on this side having some strong movement in them too. Coupled with the grain I got fooled once or twice. You get a few long views out to the water on this nine as well. If the entire course was built on topo like the front nine I think the overall golf course and experience would have been better.

Nonetheless I think it is worth seeing since the golf offerings on the island are so limited.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Greg Norman Nirwana course. If I were to return I would play there at least once and maybe twice as all the locals said it was the best course on the island. (I’m not sure if more have been built since 2005) Besides, Tanah Lot, which is right next to it, is a very special place. Apparently you can see the temple from the course. Make sure you visit the temple during low tide so you can walk out to it. The sunset is spectacular too.

Enjoy your trip and let us know what you find.

Jason Sills

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 09:01:04 AM »
I played Nirwana today and I would recommend playing it.  Its a beautiful layout with some interesting design features.  Norman has incorporated rice paddies throughout the course.  In fact my wifes favorite comment from the caddy today was on a shot I hit a little right of the tee and the caddy stated " maybe rough, maybe rice paddy".  Too funny.  I didnt get a chance to play the others so I cant comment on them.  I paid rack rate for golf but I think you get a better deal through 99bali.com.  I didnt use them so I cant comment.

Enjoy.
Jason Sills

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
I played and stayed at Bali Handara in 1991.  It was tired then.  I enjoyed the game, but I have no desire to revisit.

I also stayed at Nusa Dua, and would gladly return.  Didn't play golf there, although the course was open.  Playing there in the future isn't a priority for me.

I kno nothing about Nirwana.  I only hear good things about it.

Bali is a delightful place.  If you choose to play, you will enjoy your game at either Handara or Bali.  But if you don't play there, I doubt that you will regret the decision some time later.

Enjoy

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back